Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Augustus And Julius Caesar On One Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1215 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  11:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received this coin as a gift and I love it. 2 important rulers on one coin. Who would not like that.

Augustus and Divvs Julius Caesar
(27 CBE- 14 CE)
Macedon. Thessalonika
19 mm 8.0 g
Obv: ΘECCAΛONIKEΩN
Bare head of Augustus
Rev: ΘEOC.
Bare head of Julius Caesar
RPC 1555
Ex: Numismatik Naumann Auction 66 Lot 269

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Edited by orfew
12/22/2018 11:26 am
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CrazyCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if it was a commerative or a circulation strike?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1215 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question, but I do not know the answer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4333 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a nice gift.
Learn More...
United States
22484 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent gift, cool coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice and just in time for the Holidays - thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
730 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating coin! The deification of Julius Caesar and it's implications for the provincial coinage is particularly poignant at the holiday season. In Latin, the deified were referred to as divus ("deified", "saint", "god"), quite distinct from deus ("God"). Julius Caesar was the first Roman to be officially deified by decree of the Senate on 1 January 42 BC. Augustus, Tiberius, Nero and Domitian later adopted the title divi filius ("son of the saint", "son of the god"), following the deification of their predecessor. In Greek, however, there is no such linguistic distinction. There is only θες ("God"). Thus, divus and divi filius in Latin become θες and θeοũ υις ("Son of God") in Greek, precisely the same terminology used in the New Testament for "God" (e.g. John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God") and "Son of God" (e.g. Matthew 27:54, where the Roman centurion proclaims "Surely, he was the Son of God!"). The irony would not have been lost on the first-century Christian audience, reading both coins and scripture in Greek!
Edited by Kushanshah
12/22/2018 8:24 pm
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin and thanks for the Kushanshah.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1215 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you @Kushanshah for that informative writeup and thanks to all for the kind comments.
Valued Member
Canada
59 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2018  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Claudius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found this... that makes some sense...perhaps this is useful?

MACEDON, Thessalonica. Octavian, with Divus Julius Caesar. 27 BC-AD 14. 20mm (7.30 g, 6h). Restitution issue. Struck under Domitian, circa AD 81-96. Bare head of Divus Julius right / Bare head of Augustus right. RPC I 1555; Touratsoglou Em. II (of Domitian), 23 (V3/R14).

Link is here..
https://www.cNGCoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=357930

What a wonderful gift! Would be proud to own anything like this coin.. congrats!

Edited by Claudius
12/22/2018 11:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1215 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is very useful @Claudius, thank you. As I understand it there is still some debate about who actually issued this coin.

Edit: I found this snippet on Forum Ancient Coins

"RPC tentatively dates the type to the reign of Augustus but notes that Touratsoglou dates it to the reign of Domitian (13 Sep 81 - 18 Sep 96 A.D.) particularly based on the die axis and letter forms."
Edited by orfew
12/23/2018 12:42 am
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one of those too. Technically it's Octavian I have as the coin was struck in 38 BC before he took the name Augustus in 27 BC.

side left: portrait of Julius Caesar, legend DIVOS IVLIVS
side right: portrait of Octavian Ceasar, legend CAESAR DIVI F for divos filius (son of the divine Julius)
(NFA: Numismatic Fine Arts Auction, ca.1990) I need to get the weight and exact lot#.

These are not particularly common but tend to be inexpensive unless you find a really really nice one. This one was around $950 I recall.
Edited by Gallienus
01/11/2019 12:45 pm
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oddly enough I just photographed this one last night for my shop:

Macedon, Thessalonica Divus Augustus and Deified Julius Caesar!
ΘEOC, bare head of Julius Caesar / CEBACTOY ΘE, bare head of Augustus right.
RPC I 5421 (vis. pg. 298 note). 22 mm, 7.40 grams

Edited by louisvillekyshop
01/11/2019 2:08 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05