Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finally - a 1963-D Kennedy Half!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5638 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
No typo there - its a Danial Carr 1963-D overstrike on a 1964 Kennedy half. And it arrived in the mail today

This was the one elusive date I was missing from the list of his overstrikes. Here is complete list of what was made and I now have the set!

1963 P&D 90%
1975-P clad & 40%
1975-D clad & 90%
1975-S 40% & 90%
1975-P bicentennial clad & 40%

I like putting these right in with the rest of the collection to see if people will even notice.

Visiting coin collector: Hey! The Kennedy series started in 1964...and weren't all Bicentennial halves dated 1976 - what gives?
Me:

But of course the binder I keep them in has the info that these are overstrikes.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sullysullinburg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always liked his work, never like the price tag, however.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7609 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example! I have the 64 D Peace dollar, it's the only one of his items I own.

I wish D. Carr would answer his PM's on here. I humbly and politely wrote and wanted to send my COA to get autographed by him but he didn't answer my PM. I of course was going to include a SASE for return shipping.
Was your COA autographed?
Instead of using bookmarks, try clicking on those "lime green" banners under CCF Partners there on the left. eBay, Amazon and APMEX. I am pretty sure they help support CCF when clicked on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3486 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but he didn't answer my PM.

Are you sure your PM is working?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5782 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think D Carr has been active on the forum for several years. Try contacting him through the moonlight mint.
Richard Barnes
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381

Pillar of the Community
United States
5638 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TNG No, I never got an autograph. I did ask once on a large order I put in, but no reply to this. He has replied to other emails in the past though and seems, when he does answer, to be a really great guy. I just figure he is also very busy.

As to the 1964-D Peace dollar, I am kicking myself all the time for not getting one back when he made them. I remember debating about it on an order and, b/c I did not particularly collect Peace dollars, decided against it. Dumb dumb dumb dumb....dumb!

But I did not make that mistake on the broken sword Peace dollars in 2017. I got one and really enjoy it. The strike is so much better than any regular Peace dollar I have ever seen.

Quote:
Always liked his work, never like the price tag, however.

I have been saving awhile to get this one while hoping one would come up on ebay. I had eBay send an email alert for any 1963-D Carr half listed. The one week I was not able to check email, it went up for sale. Thankfully it go relisted instead of sold and I got it.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
01/09/2019 8:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2563 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one, Earle! I really like his work. I'm hoping for a "1979" Ike dollar some day.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Edited by Darth Morgan
01/09/2019 10:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5638 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Darth, and
- I would jump all over a 1979 Ike myself.

Hey, maybe we should see if he will make a 50th anniversary Ike in 2021!

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
United States
65165 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm hoping for a "1979" Ike dollar some day.

Quote:
Hey, maybe we should see if he will make a 50th anniversary Ike in 2021!
I think the Mint needs to jump on that. There may be some legal issue with them making an Ike dollar without congressional approval, so I would not complain if it had to be a gold bullion. That is a gold coin I would have to buy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5638 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the Mint needs to jump on that. There may be some legal issue with them making an Ike dollar without congressional approval, so I would not complain if it had to be a gold bullion.

I guess I don't understand enough about the process. And while a gold Ike would be amazing, I do not think they would make one full size b/c of how much a gold a coin this size would take/cost. It would leave me without one I am sure. But I would hate to see them reduce the size like they did the Walker and Merc.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kurtles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What exactly is an overstrike? Asking as a newbie here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would there still be a legal issue with him doing an overstrike on a genuine Ike dollar?
I can see why there would be some manufacturing complications since the coin might be clad and a much harder alloy than silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An overstrike is where you take a genuine coin and re-stamp it with a different die. Dan Carr is famous for doing this with very high production quality since he has a genuine retired US mint press and is a very competent die-maker. He makes original designs as well as fantasy pieces, ie. US coins that bear years they were not minted. Since the overstrikes he makes are non-existent otherwise, it is not considered forgery by most.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5638 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No problem on the Ikes. I own a 1975 and a 1970. The 1970 was struck on a silver Ike while the 75 is clad.

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2563 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I own a 1975 and a 1970. The 1970 was struck on a silver Ike while the 75 is clad.

Same here. A really cool guy traded me one of his "1970" Ikes.

I got my "1975" from a cool fellow over at CT:

My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Pillar of the Community
United States
5638 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive. Most Impressive.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05