Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finally - A 1963-D Kennedy Half!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5760 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
No typo there - its a Danial Carr 1963-D overstrike on a 1964 Kennedy half. And it arrived in the mail today

This was the one elusive date I was missing from the list of his overstrikes. Here is complete list of what was made and I now have the set!

1963 P&D 90%
1975-P clad & 40%
1975-D clad & 90%
1975-S 40% & 90%
1975-P bicentennial clad & 40%

I like putting these right in with the rest of the collection to see if people will even notice.

Visiting coin collector: Hey! The Kennedy series started in 1964...and weren't all Bicentennial halves dated 1976 - what gives?
Me:

But of course the binder I keep them in has the info that these are overstrikes.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sullysullinburg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always liked his work, never like the price tag, however.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7814 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example! I have the 64 D Peace dollar, it's the only one of his items I own.

I wish D. Carr would answer his PM's on here. I humbly and politely wrote and wanted to send my COA to get autographed by him but he didn't answer my PM. I of course was going to include a SASE for return shipping.
Was your COA autographed?
Numismatist:
One who studies or collects money or substitutes thereof.
Exonumist:
One who studies coin-like objects such as token coins and medals used in place of legal currency or for commemoration.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3713 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but he didn't answer my PM.

Are you sure your PM is working?
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5799 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think D Carr has been active on the forum for several years. Try contacting him through the moonlight mint.
Richard Barnes
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381

Pillar of the Community
United States
5760 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TNG No, I never got an autograph. I did ask once on a large order I put in, but no reply to this. He has replied to other emails in the past though and seems, when he does answer, to be a really great guy. I just figure he is also very busy.

As to the 1964-D Peace dollar, I am kicking myself all the time for not getting one back when he made them. I remember debating about it on an order and, b/c I did not particularly collect Peace dollars, decided against it. Dumb dumb dumb dumb....dumb!

But I did not make that mistake on the broken sword Peace dollars in 2017. I got one and really enjoy it. The strike is so much better than any regular Peace dollar I have ever seen.

Quote:
Always liked his work, never like the price tag, however.

I have been saving awhile to get this one while hoping one would come up on ebay. I had eBay send an email alert for any 1963-D Carr half listed. The one week I was not able to check email, it went up for sale. Thankfully it go relisted instead of sold and I got it.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
01/09/2019 8:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2614 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one, Earle! I really like his work. I'm hoping for a "1979" Ike dollar some day.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Edited by Darth Morgan
01/09/2019 10:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5760 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Darth, and
- I would jump all over a 1979 Ike myself.

Hey, maybe we should see if he will make a 50th anniversary Ike in 2021!

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
United States
68233 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm hoping for a "1979" Ike dollar some day.

Quote:
Hey, maybe we should see if he will make a 50th anniversary Ike in 2021!
I think the Mint needs to jump on that. There may be some legal issue with them making an Ike dollar without congressional approval, so I would not complain if it had to be a gold bullion. That is a gold coin I would have to buy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5760 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the Mint needs to jump on that. There may be some legal issue with them making an Ike dollar without congressional approval, so I would not complain if it had to be a gold bullion.

I guess I don't understand enough about the process. And while a gold Ike would be amazing, I do not think they would make one full size b/c of how much a gold a coin this size would take/cost. It would leave me without one I am sure. But I would hate to see them reduce the size like they did the Walker and Merc.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kurtles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What exactly is an overstrike? Asking as a newbie here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
778 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would there still be a legal issue with him doing an overstrike on a genuine Ike dollar?
I can see why there would be some manufacturing complications since the coin might be clad and a much harder alloy than silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
778 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An overstrike is where you take a genuine coin and re-stamp it with a different die. Dan Carr is famous for doing this with very high production quality since he has a genuine retired US mint press and is a very competent die-maker. He makes original designs as well as fantasy pieces, ie. US coins that bear years they were not minted. Since the overstrikes he makes are non-existent otherwise, it is not considered forgery by most.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5760 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No problem on the Ikes. I own a 1975 and a 1970. The 1970 was struck on a silver Ike while the 75 is clad.

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2614 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I own a 1975 and a 1970. The 1970 was struck on a silver Ike while the 75 is clad.

Same here. A really cool guy traded me one of his "1970" Ikes.

I got my "1975" from a cool fellow over at CT:

My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Pillar of the Community
United States
5760 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive. Most Impressive.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05