Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Key Date Coins!

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
4691 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  09:21 am Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Once I finished my 7070 Type Album and my DIY "proof" type set, I decided to try collecting the "key date" coins for various series rather than focusing on collecting all the coins in any particular series. I have a long way to go, but thought I'd share what I have so far (along with a blurb describing what makes them "key") and invite others to do likewise!

1909-S VDB Lincoln Cent:

The 1909 S VDB Lincoln Cent is generally considered to be the "Holy Grail" of Lincoln Cents and is usually the first "rare and valuable" coin people hear about when first being introduced to the world of coin collecting. The designer of the new Lincoln Cent, Victor David Brenner, included his initials "V.D.B." on the reverse of the coin and 20,000,000 coins were minted at the Philadelphia mint before the decision was made to remove the initials. Only 484,000 were released for circulation by the San Francisco mint, however, which makes it the rarest Lincoln cent ever produced.

1916-D Winged Liberty ("Mercury") Dime:

1916 was the first year of issue for the iconic Winged Liberty (a.k.a. "Mercury") dime, and only 264,000 were produced at the Denver mint (as opposed to 22,180,080 that were produced at the Philadelphia mint). These were widely circulated, and as a result even examples in poor condition can be worth thousands of dollars to collectors today.

1921 Peace Dollar:

1921 was the first year that the Peace dollar was minted. The original design featured the head of liberty struck in high relief. Unfortunately, it was soon discovered that the design wore down very quickly once in circulation and, as a result, the coin was redesigned with a lower relief image in 1922. As a result, only 1,006,473 Peace dollars were minted in 1921 and they are highly prized by collectors (especially those in mint condition).

1932-D Washington Quarter:

1932 was the first year of production for the now iconic Washington quarter, and only 436,800 of them were minted in Denver that year. Although this is slightly more than the 408,000 coins that were minted in San Francisco that year, there are fewer surviving uncirculated or "mint state" examples of the 1932-D. As a result, the 1932-D Washington quarter in mint state is considered to be the key date of the entire series.

1972 Eisenhower dollar (Type 2 Reverse):

There is really only one Eisenhower dollar that is considered to be a "key" variety by collectors, and that is the 1972, Type 2 Reverse. The difference between the Type 2 and the regular Eisenhower dollars has to do with the appearance of the Earth on the reverse. Unlike every other variety and year, the Earth as pictured on the Type 2 does not have any islands showing beneath and to the right of Florida. Instead of islands, incuse (engraved) water lines hint at their appearance. The 1972 Type 2 Eisenhower dollar was accidentally struck with a reverse die intended for proof coins only. It is estimated that approximately 100,000 of these were actually minted, while fewer than 40,000 in all grades are thought to still exist today since many of them circulated and have considerable wear making them hard to identify.

That's all I have so far. Your turn!

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
804 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your collection is worthy and very impressive. I look forward to what others share and hopefully someday sharing some myself.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4036 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice.
I think you are putting your money where you can eventually see a reasonable gain.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Learn More...
United States
72310 Posts
Learn More...
United States
72310 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's all I have so far. Your turn!
I guess I should oblige...

1913-S Variety 2 Buffalo nickel

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16844 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This will be a great thread. Real eye candy.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8498 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very good idea!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4691 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess I should oblige

Thank you for obliging!

Quote:
This will be a great thread. Real eye candy.

Let's hope!

(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paddy murphy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
4691 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does an 1877 Indian count?

It does if you can explain what makes it a key date. I realize that "key date" is a bit of an amorphous term.

Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paddy murphy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to my memory from the Rick Snow Indian cent book, researchers believe far fewer than the reported 852,000 pieces were actually struck. All known 1877's were struck with the same reverse die and those usually fail by 100k to 200K strikes.

1909-S has lower mintage, but is much more common thus making 1877 the key date in the Indian cent series.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4691 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, there you go! Thanks for sharing.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1862 Seated dollar:

With a tiny mintage of only 11,540 the 1862 Seated dollar is scarce at all grades. As with most Seated dollar dates during the civil war most were melted or shipped overseas. Dick Osburn and Brian Cushing estimate that only 350 business strikes survived making it the rarest sld of the 1860's. Complicating the date further, many are misidentified proofs holdered and labeled by tpgs as business strikes.

Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4691 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
72310 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5176 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In low grades, the 1928 Peace dollar is the key date (except for the 1922 high relief):

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05