Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Huh?, What Is This Morgan?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12773 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I was NGC, I would not be happy with how this reflects on my brand. Dishonest? Pretty fine line here. It is definitely not a "random year".

Again it's not a smart way to buy things but it's not even close to dishonest. You'll get a random one from the inventory they have designated for that listing.

As far as NGC it doesn't reflect on them at all.
Fire A.J. Preller
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a large market of gold buyers who buy gold coins over gold bars because they like the added security of the TPG's certification that the coin and gold is genuine. The dealers in this market sell to these buyers random date gold coins at a discount. The gold dealers like APMEX have photoshop the slab to note random date for many years, so that, customers do not get confused about the date being sent. I am sure the TPG's have looked the other way on the photoshop random date because the TPG's want common date gold being sent to them to sell to the bullion coin buyers. Here is a link to APMEX 142549480980 and a photo of a random date gold coin. There is nothing dishonest about selling random date gold coins as it serves a market of buyers that want gold in coins. This market sometimes shows up in Morgan silver dollars because the common dates are so plentiful.
Learn More...
United States
23117 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  10:24 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I would never buy a "random date" coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18448 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Personally, I would never buy a "random date" coin.

If you only want one coin for a type set and the price is cheaper than selecting a common date, I don't see any problem with it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1526 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Random:
1a : lacking a definite plan, purpose, or pattern
b : made, done, or chosen at random
2a : relating to, having, or being elements or events with definite probability of occurrence
b : being or relating to a set or to an element of a set each of whose elements has equal probability of occurrence a random sample also : characterized by procedures designed to obtain such sets or elements
"Random Year (1878-1904)" is not a fuzzy marketing statement, it has a specific meaning. All those years are not just present in the offering - you have an equal chance of getting any one of them. Neither is true. They even go out of their way to say "NO 1921's", which serves to reinforce their contention that all years 1878-1904 are present and that you have an equal chance of getting one of those specific years. Again, not the truth. It is deliberately deceptive, and if it's not honest advertising, then it's dishonest advertising. "A random selection from a pre-selected group of MS65 Morgans with a trend value between x dollars and y dollars" would be honest.

As far as NGC, if you're dumb enough to fall for this borderline scam, your probably dumb enough to think NGC prints labels with "Random Year" on them. The proper way to do this is to simply black out the date and barcode on your representative image. Instead, the seller wants to make it look more "officially NGC" and is putting something on the label that is not from NGC. From that standpoint, I would not be happy about it if I was NGC. Again, the non-deceptive approach would be to simply black out those areas of the label.
Edited by kbbpll
02/11/2019 10:48 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12773 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They even go out of their way to say "NO 1921's", which serves to reinforce their contention that all years 1878-1904 are present and that you have an equal chance of getting one of those specific years

No it doesn't. They specifically say no 21s so you know that there are no 21s which wasn't even in the date range. Nowhere is it stated or implied that all dates are included and certainly not that you have an equal chance at all. It's a completely honest listing
Fire A.J. Preller
Pillar of the Community
United States
1526 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not arguing with you any further on this. It most certainly implies that it could be any coin from 1878-1904. That's exactly what "1878-1904" means, and exactly what "random" means. Anything else and you're just making up new definitions.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18448 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All their ad says is that you will get a random date of "their choice" between the years 1878-1904. Seems like a legitimate ad to me, nothing deceptive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9079 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The listing is for a random common date that does not become a conditional rarity in MS65. Go to the NGC price guide and look at all the date/ mm listings that are about the same price in MS65. These are what may be included in this OP listing, nothing more. No where does it imply you may receive a semi key date or any common date that becomes a conditional rarity in MS65. There are no more than 14 issues that may be available for this auction and some of those may not even be included. Anyone that expects anything different should study history. This type of listing has been around longer than the internet has.
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't call this ad dishonest. You will receive a random date Morgan graded MS-65 - it probably won't be a key date, but you will receive a Morgan graded MS-65.
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you only want one coin for a type set and the price is cheaper than selecting a common date, I don't see any problem with it.
This is the only situation that makes sense to me. However, I would never buy a coin from a stock photo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Otay, received them. They are nice looking coins, all MS65. All common dates, nothing rare or hard to get but the ones I received I did not have in my collection so I must admit, not a scam, but nice coins. Valued from $145 to $245. I emailed them back and forth a couple times and they agree'd to send me a couple more I don't have so I'm happy with this seller. I highly recommend them for anyone wanting a couple nice 65 Morgans. They don't have many left so if interested, I'd hurry. The ones I received had nice eye appeal, did not have chewed up cheek/fields, etc.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Edited by NDBirdman
02/15/2019 11:16 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05