Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 West Point Premium Penny

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 219 / Views: 21,364Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar of the Community
United States
1250 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  08:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
New in 2019! Premium Coin: The 2019 proof set is accompanied by a NEW 2019 premium penny in a proof finish struck at West Point Mint with a "W" mint mark. This special coin is packaged separately in clear United States Mint plastic wrap.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, but where are the 4 Innovation $1s. Why aren't they being included in the regular Proof Set like the Presidential $1s were? If you want them, then it looks like you will need to purchase the Innovation $ Proof Set.

Makes me wonder if UNC versions of the Innovation $1 will be included in the Mint Sets. There isn't a separate Innovation $1 Mint Set like there is for the Proof Set.
Edited by BadDog
02/16/2019 09:26 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44645 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a link I can go to?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a link I can go to?

It's just the Mint's normal product page. They posted the description/price of the 2019 Proof Set this morning. Here's the link https://catalog.usmint.gov/proof-se...uct-schedule
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44645 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link. I am tempted to get a set, just for the W cent.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
495 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which makes me wonder: Will they also put this in the silver set, or is just for this one?
Pillar of the Community
United States
984 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. So the fact that it's a proof struck at West Point is what makes it "premium " correct? Everything else the same?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4270 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Similar to the W Roosevelt dime that was included several years ago. I don't recall that set really doing much on the secondary market. Here is why I probably wouldn't bother to buy this new set:

Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: None
Household Order Limit: None

But I've been burned too many times in the past buying products from the mint that were a lot cheaper on the secondary market.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is why I probably wouldn't bother to buy this new set:

Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: None
Household Order Limit: None

Completely agree. As soon as there's no limit they ruin the product.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3127 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1996 W Roosevelt dime, the 50th anniversary of the first Roosevelt dime, 1946 Was a Sweet addition to that Mint Set.Thank You for the heads up..... This is a Sweet idea, IMO. The fact that We can at times get a set or a coin for less then Originally offered from the Mint is true. I too like that option, ONLY I have found the coins being offered on the secondary market are LESS then perfect. NOT like the Mint has the best quality control...... I still go with the Mint's products..... To each His/Her own.......
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So will the fact that "This special coin is packaged separately in clear United States Mint plastic wrap" mean fewer 70s, since the coin won't be as well protected as in a capsule or the plastic lens like the rest of the set?
Learn More...
United States
112244 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4270 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My initial reaction is that this will be a flash in the pan for the telemarketers and then fade into oblivion. The telemarkers like to get a ton of ANACS PF-70s to sell these days. Nothing against ANACS, but true collectors ignore them (except for the old small holders).
Edited by jimbucks
02/17/2019 01:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1363 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like this idea but I think it would be better suited for the mint set. Then its mintage would be drastically different from regular circulation strikes. As it is now, it will just be consistent with the normal proof strike, so I don't expect there will be as much demand.

Quote:
OK, but where are the 4 Innovation $1s. Why aren't they being included in the regular Proof Set like the Presidential $1s were? If you want them, then it looks like you will need to purchase the Innovation $ Proof Set.

I have not seen any articles about the designs, so my guess is that the law was passed so late last year that the 2019 coins will be released later than usual. Starting next year, I expect they'll be included in the annual sets and released in a regular pattern. It might end up being like the 1971 vs 1972 sets without and with the Eisenhower dollar, respectively.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11477 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kind of interesting - guess we'll have to see what the packaging looks like.
Learn More...
United States
112244 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like this idea but I think it would be better suited for the mint set.
I agree, just like the W-dime in the 1996 set.

However, this being a proof W cent makes it more suited with the proof sets.

Quote:
Kind of interesting - guess we'll have to see what the packaging looks like.
Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 219 / Views: 21,364Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: