Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Your Opinion: 5 Dollar 1912 Indian Head

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Germany
153 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2019  1:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys,
how would you grade this nice Indian Head? I had a few ones in the hand now and I think that this one has still a good luster. It has more luster and less Details than the Denver mint type I posted a minuite ago.
Unfortunately it is very hard to take photos of these coins :-(
Greetings
Alex

Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2019  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morganhuls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, AU-55 or 58.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7206 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  02:48 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46321 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Critical grading points look different from pic to pic. AU-58 at worst, very possibly 63 or so.
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smalldawg59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tint bit of rub on the cheek and eagle's shoulder. AU58
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19391 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These photos put the grade all over the place. AU-58 based on some of the photos. Hard to believe they are all of the same coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
921 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58 but nasty scratch on reverse
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
2062 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58. Looks good to me.
Valued Member
Germany
153 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot for your help! :-)

The mint lu#65279;ster is a good indicator for traces of harm. Unfortunately it very hard to show it. That is why I made a video. Does it affect your Opinion about the coin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98GcSnnDktQ
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58
Pillar of the Community
United States
5159 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Video appears to show strong luster which is not apparent in the still photos. I agree with minimum AU-58 and a potential for up to MS-63.

The "scratch" on the reverse appears to pass under the R in TRUST. Makes me think it could be a planchet flaw rather than post-mint damage.
Valued Member
Germany
153 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2019  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for your opinion. I think that this coin would be MS 62 or MS 63. It has a lot of luster and just a few scratches. The leak of detail at the obverse seems to be normal. All the MS 65/66 pieces I can find at the Internet have a weak strike as well. I think that this coin is much better than the average and I am happy to have it in my type collection
Pillar of the Community
United States
7206 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  11:30 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After seeing the video I think it makes a MS grade, low end MS61/62 at least. The high areas on the Pratt incuse designed coins is the field, so that is the place to see wear, not on the eagle, lettering, etc. Unlike other coins the incuse cut coins are a different beast to grade. The luster does appear to be present as a continuous cartwheel from the video. Makes for a nice type gold coin for a set like you describe. Thanks for sharing Alexthegreat!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Valued Member
Germany
153 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexthegreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I submitted the coin to NGC and its MS63 :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
7206 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Alex! Glad you got an UNC grade straight out of it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2575 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Alex,

Are your Indian Gold coins getting graded by NGC in Germany? I was off on everything you posted with NGC grades by 2 or 3 grade numbers.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05