Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting Classic Type Coins

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  12:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am focusing on copper and silver. Any suggestions on strategy since there are so many types to acquire? Obviously eye appeal is paramount. Focus on a category like copper or silver? Denomination? Whatever is eye appealing? Obviously there are budget constraints. Lol
Actively collecting US Type coins and Morgans. Thinking about LWC upgrades.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3545 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you considered starting with a 7070 type set?
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, 7070 is the goal. But, was considering suggestions on approaches since it covers so many types.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4529 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, 7070 is the goal.

Do you have a 7070 type set album?

Quote:
But, was considering suggestions on approaches since it covers so many types.

It's always good to start at the beginning. The only problem is, the beginning is different for each of us. I started filling holes with the best coins I already had in my possession to find/see my baseline.

Bottom-line: You find the best coins of each type you can afford.

Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Edited by USSID18
03/10/2019 1:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Create a budget and target grade for each coin, and set a minimum grade for the set. Try to stay away from the most common dates, on some coins it may not be possible and stay within your budget. On old copper try to find problem free, original surface with chocolate brown toning and all having the same overall appearance. On silver orginal, with eye appeal and a little color is nice and stay away from white coins that may have been dipped.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4306 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Old US copper is as good as any place to start.

Surf up images in various grades and see what you want your minimum to be.
Then check your wallet and see what it can support.
You will probably have to do some sort of balancing act between the two.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12773 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the best strategy is having no strategy. Once you know what you want out of the set if something comes along that you need that you love go for it. If you just say okay all I am going to get is Large cents until that is complete or something like that you may miss out on other coins that you really really like because you are having a narrow focus. Part of the point of the type set is to be able to kind of get whatever you want and not be limited to date/mm sets of the same series
Fire A.J. Preller
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Basebal21, souunds like keeping eyes out for quality coins regardless of type is the best approach.
Edited by txgolfer56
03/10/2019 9:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up 3 in auctions today.

1938D Buffalo nickel ms66
1950D Jefferson nickel ms66
1944 Mercury dime ms66
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the best strategy is having no strategy.

If you are not in a hurry, just pick up nice material as you come across it at the right price. It took me 40 years to complete my 7070.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4529 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
txgolfer56- Why do you have two threads going for the same subject?

http://goccf.com/t/342134&whichpage=2#2930960
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3387 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would make a list of each coin type needed, a target grade and a target price. Then just start working your list, acquiring coins as you find nice examples. Since I am guessing you won't be going MS66 all the way back, you'll have to decide what grades work. I used an overall strategy of trying to stay VF or better, but some compromises had to be made. I also tried to go with lower grades for older coins, progressing through higher grades as dates became more recent. This seemed to work for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1376 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most difficult types to land a problem free example, in my experience, are the capped bust quarter, the classic head large cent and the Seated dollars. They also tend to be the most expensive. Maybe start with those and then spend time browsing for a particular type one by one
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16077 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are just starting on a 7070 set, go in with an open mind, and seize on any opportunity that looks like a vary good bargain, with regard to condition and value of coin vs price. (Otherwise known as cherry picking.)

That has been my buying tactic for the last 5 decades. Some people call that tactic as buying well, but it has a significant positive value benefit in the long term.

The most inefficient tactic value wise,
is to pay top dollar for a particular target coin that you are looking for. If you do that, many opportunistic bargains will slip by without you noticing them.
Edited by sel_69l
03/11/2019 07:49 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18725 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This sort of like asking which car should I buy. Or which house should I buy. Just way to many variables. I'd suggest just getting a copy of the Red Book and look through it for what interests you.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the best strategy is having no strategy.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05