Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1910 Un Peso Mexican Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  1:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 76electrician to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. Previously posted in US Modern Variety and Error Coins. ***

Any one have an idea of value..

Pillar of the Community
United States
844 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without the benefit of good pictures, a good guess on value might be about $15 or junk silver price.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need better pictures. The 1910 Peso is a desirable coin and can command a nice premium over silver value. However it is hard to tell in the pictures posted if the coin is real or a common copy made for unsuspecting tourists visiting Mexico. From the photos posted my first guess is a common copy. Image is too washed out.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 76electrician to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
K thanks..I will upload better pics...thanks for your time
Pillar of the Community
United States
3667 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These go by the moniker of "caballito" (Spanish for "little horse"). A fair number of fakes of them have been made, with many of those of recent Chinese origin. The 1910 is the most common date, with over 3.8 million struck. Before going too much further with the photography, I'd get an accurate weight (at least to a tenth of a gram) on it first. If genuine, it looks to be around "fine" in condition - eBay might be a place where actual selling prices for this issue in that condition might be found.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7387 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16573 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better photos needed but this one is a possible counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
844 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the OP can compare these photos to see if his date & rim are sharply defined like this good coin or poor like this fake.

Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 76electrician to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would this pics help or would I need to take it out of the casing

Pillar of the Community
United States
844 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look good. The rim design is not well defined and the field looks porous.
Compare to these to see if your details are poor and porous or sharp and clear.
Take it out and try for better pictures.
Edited by Albert
03/15/2019 01:31 am
Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 76electrician to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
K thank u..
U think I should take it out the casing
To take clear pic
Pillar of the Community
United States
4784 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should carefully remove the coin from the airtight. There should be a seam that can be separated with no damage to the holder.

The reason is that on average 8 out of 10 of these are numismatic forgeries made in China. Those are worthless because they are often nickel or copper-nickel. Some are even magnetic.

The details that are visible in your pictures make the coin appear to be a forgery. The details are very indistinct so even if genuine the coin has been badly handled.

Out of the holder you can also accurately weigh the coin. New the coin weighed 27.07 grams - worn to VF the weight should still be 26.7 or 26.8 grams. A coin weighing 25 grams or less is a forgery - period. At 25 grams there should be NO DETAILS LEFT.

The edge of the Peso was reeded. The reeds should be solid and evenly spaced around the entire perimeter. See discussions in this forum about "split tail reeds" for indications of forgery to look out for.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.85 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05