Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spy Coins, 1925/1960, 4 Wheat Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 833Next Topic  

United States
37 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  6:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sgtyork2690 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hollowed out coins. I found these in a recent purchase of 55,000+ wheats.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2207 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, see if a dime fits inside!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3273 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
could also be Magician's coins, missing the other side..
Learn More...
United States
18290 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick up, but I agree with the wolf that these are more likely one half of Magician's coins.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10766 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool finds!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4242 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  04:30 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The magic trick that uses the hollowed out coin is called 'Scotch and Soda'.here is a video I found that has a version of it:

wTL_YPthJag
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
94405 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20020 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sold at a magic shop near me. Also, they have other coins done the same way.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
607 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billymac11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have this with a dime that goes inside from a magic trick I got for Xmas in the 70s.
71 of 72 in my edition of the Dansco 7070.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6883 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit different than the Scotch and Soda trick. These pennies were hollowed out with no backplate made for them.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53632 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a remarkable find, six of these in 55,000 cents. I've probably searched 500,000+ wheats in my long life and never found one!
Edited by Coinfrog
04/16/2019 6:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these are awesome; do they command a premium? I would assume not since its basically just a damaged coin, but the craftsmanship and skill that went into making these is quite impressive.
Learn More...
United States
18290 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
do they command a premium?

I would say as a novelty item they can command a premium, but I'm not aware of anyone specifically collecting them. For example, you can purchase modern Magician's coins on eBay and elsewhere.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question: Do they fit together, back to front?

KK
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 833Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05