Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Transporting A Coin Into The U S

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nicaragua
5 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  12:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add heartgard to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Tenderfoot here, US citizen living outside the country. I'm looking for insight/advice as to the best/safest way to get a collectible gold coin obtained outside the US back to PCGS for inspection and grading. International FedEx requires description of contents and customs. Can carry on the plane but that requires declaration and involves TSA, customs, etc. Anyone here experienced in such matters? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
Edited by heartgard
04/18/2019 12:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11884 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where outside the US? PCGS has offices in Paris, Hong Kong, and China that you can submit too. If you want it back at Newport Beach you're going to have to deal with customs
Pillar of the Community
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would contact PCGS directly, either via phone or email, and ask them their best and safest way they prefer to get the coin. In the USA Registered Mail is the best, but as far as I understand that service can only be originated from inside the USA.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
Canada
448 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For FEDEX International from Canada to NGC or PCGS I use HS#: 9705.00.00 and the description of Personal collectible numismatic disc(s) not for sale, Grading only.
And I've never had any problems.
Learn More...
United States
71027 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1888 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can carry on the plane but that requires declaration and involves TSA, customs, etc.

If it is your personal property, and not legal tender, is this correct?

From U.S. Customs website:

Gold coins, medals and bullion, formerly prohibited, may be brought into the United States. However, under regulations administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, such items originating in or brought from Cuba, Iran, Burma (Myanmar) and most of Sudan are prohibited entry. Copies of gold coins are prohibited if not properly marked by country of issuance.
Last modified:
March 26, 2019

Edited by tdziemia
04/18/2019 10:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8159 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Nicaragua
5 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heartgard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your input.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5527 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Auction houses send gold coins through US customs all the time without issue. You are only likely to run into problems if:

1. It was minted in or shipped from an embargoed country
2. It falls under cultural property restrictions (usually only applies to ancient or Medieval coins worth six figures or more)
3. The declared dollar amount is high enough to warrant investigation, e.g. $10,000 or more.

Foreign countries have been known to swipe valuables coming through customs, but as long as you send it with tracking and don't raise red flags, your coin will make it through.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Nicaragua
5 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heartgard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Auction houses send gold coins through US customs all the time without issue. You are only likely to run into problems if:

1. It was minted in or shipped from an embargoed country
2. It falls under cultural property restrictions (usually only applies to ancient or Medieval coins worth six figures or more)
3. The declared dollar amount is high enough to warrant investigation, e.g. $10,000 or more.

Foreign countries have been known to swipe valuables coming through customs, but as long as you send it with tracking and don't raise red flags, your coin will make it through.
*** Edited by Staff to add Quote tags. [quote][/quote] Please use them in the future. ***

Finn- What is your opinion of carrying the coin (US Minted) onto the plane from Nica to the USA?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9525 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say pack it in your luggage or carry-on and print out (or have handy in electronic format) the section of the U.S. Customs web site that tdziemia cited above.

edit: removed poor (checked) luggage suggestion.
Edited by CelticKnot
04/24/2019 5:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11884 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
say pack it in your luggage or carry-on

If he's going to take it on a plane I would strongly suggest carry on. Packing it in the luggage especially in a foreign country if you get here and it's gone there's nothing you can do
Pillar of the Community
United States
1888 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If he's going to take it on a plane I would strongly suggest carry on.

ABSOLUTELY!

Most of the times my spouse and I have travelled internationally in the last 7 years, one or both of our checked luggage has been opened and searched for security purposes. That includes travel departing from the U.S. These days, never pack something like this in your checked luggage. YOU MUST ASSUME YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE WILL BE OPENED ON INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS.

On the other hand, I always deposit my loose change in my carry-on before passing through security, and am pretty sure airport security ignores anything looking like a coin in carry-ons.
Edited by tdziemia
04/24/2019 5:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9525 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If he's going to take it on a plane I would strongly suggest carry on.

Yes, putting it in checked baggage was not a well-thought-out suggestion. I updated my post.
Nicaragua
5 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heartgard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again folks for all your input and advice. The only wild card that concerns me is how the Nica airport authorities here would react when they discover I'm carrying a gold coin out of the country...Any idea?
Nicaragua
5 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heartgard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia- just saw the tail end of your last post. That's probably what I'll do and just cross my fingers..
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05