Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ordered My First ASE And I Can't Wait!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  12:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I live in England so American coinage isn't a common thing here unless you're looking for it. Instantly fell in love with the half dollars and ASE.

Won a good deal on eBay this weekend. A Proof ASE 1986.

Now to wait patiently for it...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Watch out...once you touch it it acts like a disease forcing you to buy more...

I think there are shots to prevent it from spreading but I never got them sooooooooooooooooo I have a major crapload of them
Pillar of the Community
United States
1550 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First to the forum and it all starts with the 86
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1324 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny. I live in the USA and the same thing happened to me with the British Britannias
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10016 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Watch out...once you touch it it acts like a disease forcing you to buy more...

It's the truth.

I probably had my eye on the same one you were looking at. Still need an '86S for my CAPS. Congrats on your pickup!

Edited by CelticKnot
04/30/2019 10:10 pm
United Kingdom
11 Posts
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin looks great for being 30+ years old. Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2408 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2019  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hopefully you don't get dinged to badly on import taxes..
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully the taxes won't be too bad.

I just ordered some things for the US Mint too and they didn't charge me tax, so I am expecting both parcels to sit in customs for a while...
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has arrived today. It looks incredible. I haven't had time to take proper photos of it yet but I can't see any visual defects at all, barely noticeable toning on the sides.

Anything that looks like a scratch is just dust. Trust me, I looked twice after I'd zoomed in on the photos haha:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10016 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet!! Congrats on your first of many!
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It has arrived today. It looks incredible.
Excellent!
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Debating getting it graded. It looks visually perfect. If anything for my own curiosity of the grade and to have it slabbed for protection.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On magnification of your pics I agree it looks pretty darn perfect. With that said I would hold off until you have at least 5 more proofs to submit in order to make it cost effective.

A PF 69 can go for under $50 while a PF 70 (less than 10% of all 1986 PF's graded (NGC)) can fetch around $300

Nice coin...wait to submit
Edited by Foxwoods Man
05/07/2019 4:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1324 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2019  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My suggestion would be to really think about why you'd want your coins certified before going that route with silver eagles. I have a complete set in which I'd argue that every single coin is perfect. If I had purchased the coins certified or had them certified, the set would have cost me significantly more. So for me, it wasn't worth it. That said, it might be worth it to you. Just don't get caught up in having to get the validation of someone else to enjoy your coins. If you do want to go the graded route, I'd suggest simply buying them graded from the start. This way you can pick the grade you want and the labels you want. You'll also avoid the disappointment of having coins come back at a lower grade than you thought they'd get. Keep in mind that all coins of the same grade are not equal. When I was searching for my 1995-W proof ASE, I saw plenty of PF-69's that I thought should have been PF-67's or PF-68's. The PF-69 that I purchased looks perfect to me, so I'm happy with what I paid for it.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05