Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Think This Coin Matches The One In The Catalogue? (Bulgaria)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
41 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  6:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Leipeneier to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello! I was wondering if any of you thought my coin matches the one in this catalogue, having trouble deciding.

Now the one from the catalogue.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11955 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@leip, to help us help you, could you please also post the catalog name and item number? Thx.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Canada
41 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2019  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Leipeneier to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
22403 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  09:26 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say it's a match for Ivan Shishman.
Canada
41 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Leipeneier to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it would be Mitso Asen. @echizento
Learn More...
United States
22403 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could be wrong, with these type of coins it's small details that define who it is. IMO it looked like Ivan Shishman.
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is important to consider not only the photo but the written description. The elements which distinguish the type in question are 1.) "scepter or lilly" in right hand, 2.) cross in left hand. 3.) "μρ monogram" above scepter, 4.) "letter resembling M" below scepter and 5.) "cross and uncertain letter" above king's head.

Elements 1, 2 and 5 are clear on both your coin and the plate coin.

Element 3, the μρ monogram, is either missing on both coins or extends in part over the king's head. In either case, what can be seen of the relevant area appears to be the same on both coins.

Element 4, "letter resembling M", is not perfectly clear on your coin but seems to be present.

Scanning Moushmov's list, I find no other coins with this combination of details so I would say yes, it's a likely match. Moushmov 7581. Unfortunately, Moushmov's attribution is "uncertain copper coin" but you have a number. Some further research may find reference to "Moushmov 7581" in other publications with possible attribution(s).
Edited by Kushanshah
05/03/2019 4:16 pm
Canada
41 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Leipeneier to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Kushanshah Thanks! I don't need exact ID, just ruler, date etc.
Canada
41 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Leipeneier to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only think its Mitso Asen because I am seeing VERY similar ones under his name.
Canada
41 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Leipeneier to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Kushanshah Another reason it could be mitso is the "M" in the design.
Learn More...
United States
22403 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have the coin in hand so it's much easier to see detail than what we are seeing from a picture. I'm not seeing the M, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe you may be correct. I googled "Mitzo Asen trachy" and found images of coins similar to yours. The nimbate figure is apparently St. Nicholas.

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=l...654&lot=1038
Edited by Kushanshah
05/03/2019 11:05 pm
Canada
41 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2019  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Leipeneier to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say its Mitzo. Thanks for your help fellas. (its a little hard to identify these coins when my Bulgarian coin books are still in the mail)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05