Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Real Or Fake? 1793 Flowing Hair Chain Cent.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 51 / Views: 4,728Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member

United States
206 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  2:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Questionable seller, real or fake?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1793-Flowi...AOSwTKRc0nVa
Pillar of the Community
United States
827 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These sellers have an 1885 proof IHC for sale which is clearly not an IHC proof. I'd avoid these guys on everything and anything. That 200 year old safe never seems to stop finding something to sell either. Always something new in there they must've missed somehow. But I'll wait to see who comments about this coin.....complete wear on the obverse but the reverse is good. Things that make one go hmmmmmmm......and with a name like Big Al how can he not be trusted. Reminds me of the insurance add on the radio for Big Lou. You can trust Big Lou. Avoid Big Lou and Big Al in my book.
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
05/08/2019 2:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9490 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt found in that 200 year old pottery store inside the enormous safe.

I wouldn't touch any of the junk this guy peddles. I see many problem coins among his listings...
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wear on the obverse seems way out of sync with the reverse and the chain is way more prominent than the lettering. Big red flag but I am no expert on chains...although I have this deep rooted hankering for one that just won't go away. Still, I will wait for an expert to weight in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3701 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In general, people with these stories tend to have bogus coins. It's classic for this seller to state
Quote:
A long-time collector volunteered his time to see that all coins are 100% Authentic guaranteed.

I stay clear of sellers with stories. I could care less where the coin came from, I care if it is authentic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5746 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Sellers eBay feedback pretty much tells you all you need to know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd only consider it if it came in a jar with some other questionable stuff. It goes without saying that I'd expect an authentic guarantee too.

That 200 year old safe contains some interesting items made in the last 15 minutes....looks like Liberty lost some weight and got a new hairdo...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1795-Flowi...AOSwwv1c0ngx
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
05/08/2019 4:35 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53424 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this is a good one to pass on.
Pillar of the Community
861 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add g048406 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thedockter aka 'Big Al' buys problem coins on Heritage, cracks them out and claims he found them in a pottery barn safe. If he doesn't sell them for more than he paid, he simply cancels the sale and relists:
https://coins.ha.com/itm/reeded-edg...nail-071515#

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1839-O-O-C...AOSwwXRchHRX
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I wonder if the chain is genuine then and came out of a slab from somewhere? Regardless, I wouldn't bid now anyhow, I try never to reward scammers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3701 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
thedockter aka 'Big Al' buys problem coins on Heritage, cracks them out and claims he found them in a pottery barn safe. If he doesn't sell them for more than he paid, he simply cancels the sale and relists:
https://coins.ha.com/itm/reeded-edg...nail-071515#

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1839-O-O-C...AOSwwXRchHRX

So this pretty makes the guy a flat-out liar.

Here's the 1839-O pic from the HA auction.
Edited by jimbucks
05/08/2019 6:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"So this pretty makes the guy a flat-out liar."

And a cheat / scammer. You would think there would be a law against it, after all saying it came from somewhere it did not is fraudulent.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Sellers eBay feedback pretty much tells you all you need to know.

? He has over 1000 sales w/ a 99.6% Positive rating. Sounds pretty good to me. Even if he is a liar, and the whole "safe" story is bogus, if he is cracking out coins from slabs then at least they are authentic, right?

Isn't the motto around here "buy the coin, not the ... whatever"?
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That said, that chain cent is the strangest thing ever. Worn flat as a pancake obverse, and the perimeter of the reverse, but the chain itself is bold & sharp as can be. Maybe a chain expert can chime in here? I have always wanted one of these, will be watching the auction closely!
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Isn't the motto around here "buy the coin, not the ... whatever"?"

Agreed, but if they are dishonest with one thing, they are likely dishonest period. In which case it may well be a fake.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14560 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2019  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin has an awful lot of wear on it in it's short life after sitting in a safe for 200 years . So that 1793 chain cent was obtained in 1819 or years before ,hoarded right away ,put into that safe and had that much wear on it in 26 years or less . Yeah Right ! Do the math .

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 51 / Views: 4,728Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05