Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1985 $100 Bill Real Or Fake?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
2408 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The center $20 note (2009) is bogus. My brother found it and sent it to me. It's in a holder, marked COUNTERFEIT for my heirs. All alone it feels suspicious, but when grouped together, intermingled with legitimate $20's, it could easily be overlooked.
Learn More...
United States
80812 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4825 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve...

Is your counterfeit 20$ on bogus paper or genuine paper?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2408 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is your counterfeit 20$ on bogus paper or genuine paper?

The paper used is a thicker bond type paper, but lacks the intaglio feel genuine notes possess. Once again, if presented by itself, an experienced money handler would probably be suspicious, but if mingled with other notes, it might get overlooked.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43783 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does seem washed-out compared to the other two, but it sure looks good to the eye. I'd love to actually feel it.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ronald Purviance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello! Our business recently received a $100 bill we thought was fake. The customer basically fled when confronted, so we were convinced. To learn more about these bills, we google them to see if there were any security features we should look for on the older bills. Imagine our surprise when this image from this thread showed up with the identical serial number and stamps on the back. I wonder if they downloaded this image or is this just a common one used by them. We are located in Florida.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4825 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strange in that it sure looks like the exact note in the original post all the way down to the purple characters on the back.

The only differences I see is the void area in the portrait at 3 o'clock on the original vs no void area at 3 o'clock on the new note.

Interesting counterfeits.
Edited by westernsky
11/30/2019 3:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Googled the serial number and found this, from July in North Carolina: https://lincolnherald.net/main.asp?...icleID=30778

Quote:
One noteworthy feature of the counterfeit bills according to Detective Rick Humphries of the Shelby Police Dept. is a blue circle that appears to have been stamped on the back of the bills. The bills passed in Shelby both had the same serial number: B41684290C.

There's a lot of that one going around.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
80812 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting match.

to the Community, Ronald Purviance!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05