Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ant Infested Uncirculated Sets

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  8:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hard to know where to post this but...

I got my Uncirculated sets in today's mail and both boxes had ant infestations! They had obviously been in there for a while because there was fecal matter and eggs (suggesting a queen?) in all parts of the packages, in the coin holder, inside the "special envelopes", etc.

Did anyone else experience this? Left for a funeral yesterday morning and came home to find this tonight. [just a little ticked off].
- About two score and seven+ years ago, I began a Lincoln cent collection. I have all, most in AU or better & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, the Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, and after that it just seemed like a good way to show the evolution of US coinage. Most non-nums to whom I've shown these react with the phrase, "I had no idea!" That alone shows their worth.
- I've completed MS sets of Jeffersons & MS specimens of other 5 nickels; Franklins done. Roosies mostly done. I enjoy hunting for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.
-- If I left my early Washington quarter book at one of y'alls house, please ring me up.
ANA Lifer #: 6565
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36745 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well!

Can you show us some pics?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11492 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yuck! Hopefully the seller takes refunds. I agree with the frog though that a couple pics would be satisfying in a driving past an accident sorta way.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took some cell phone pics but frankly it's been a long couple days and I'm exhausted. With my spine problems any car ride is a nightmare and I've just done six hours, so pics tomorrow if I can move. Just wanted to get this out there and see how many of these biting little buggers have hitched around the country. Don't these come through Memphis?
- About two score and seven+ years ago, I began a Lincoln cent collection. I have all, most in AU or better & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, the Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, and after that it just seemed like a good way to show the evolution of US coinage. Most non-nums to whom I've shown these react with the phrase, "I had no idea!" That alone shows their worth.
- I've completed MS sets of Jeffersons & MS specimens of other 5 nickels; Franklins done. Roosies mostly done. I enjoy hunting for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.
-- If I left my early Washington quarter book at one of y'alls house, please ring me up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was a US Mint shipment and I had to spray all the packaging down with pesticide to minimize risk of an invasive species getting into our yard. Don't know the species or where they came from. Watch your boxes as they arrive.

Seriously, I'm knackered. I'll get the gory pics up in the morning. Wanted to get a warning out tonight, though. The Mint will get my call tomorrow as well.

Edited by Biedercoins
05/20/2019 8:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3302 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that's got to be one of the stranger stories I've heard. I got my set today and it was ant free.
Edited by KenKat
05/20/2019 8:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3264 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever you sprayed in there may have contaminated the coins since if the holders aren't bug tight, they obviously won't protect against the spray.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36745 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a nightmare. Never heard of anything like this.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazy, mine are due Wednesday so I will be sure to handle with caution. Thanks for the warning!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6829 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm betting this happened after the coins left the mint? Unless the package was completely sealed plastic and all possible openings were taped over.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, one quick one. This is just what was in the bottom of the box while my wife was trying to get the critters out of the coin boxes. There were four sets in two different packages. Photos were an afterthought: when we opened the first one we quickly took them outside and started stipping off the packaging to get the plastic holders out. This shows a few dozen but there were thousands. My bet is the central shipping area. My wife said there was something sticky on the boxes but I think it is just that industrial adhesive they use to close the shipping boxes. Some are in the house, now. Oh, joy!

Edited by Biedercoins
05/20/2019 9:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3266 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
unreal!!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36745 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Astounding.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
20654 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  12:41 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yuck! That's so gross!
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1988 P LMC RDV-006, 1998 P LMC Wide AM, and 2000 P LMC Wide AM. http://goccf.com/t/327834 http://goccf.com/t/294303 http://goccf.com/t/312900
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15440 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of those ants that are in MS++ condition may be worth a little more.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1966 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  02:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sorry for that mess @Bieder, and I hope the ants don't get established.
Real numismatic horror story.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05