Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting Those W MM ATB Quarters

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  5:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Craftworker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
With the distribution of the West Point Minted America the Beautiful Quarters and the collecting madness of a lot of people, (judging by the amount being sold on the bay).
How many people on this forum are collecting the "W" Mint mark quarters?

Poll Choices
  I am Collecting
  I will be collecting
  I can't wait I am buying them on the Bay
  I am checking my change, hoping
  I am buying rolls
  No way, I am not going to collect them
 Yuck!
  Bah Humbug!

Learn More...
United States
82381 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will look for them, but ultimately I will probably buy them from the same dealers that sell me the circulation strike S-Mint ATBs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3253 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh my, these are meant for the kids.
And I mean that with respect.
We (OLD) folk have had our day, collecting
Liberty Walkers and Winged Liberty dimes.
Precious little to collect from circulation, except.....
YEP! These MANY quarters with changing designs are the exception.
IF I had a youngster who collected these I would
readily trade each for a common quarter.
But...to BUY them? Not for me..
(As always, collect what you like...._)
Pillar of the Community
United States
6168 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its difficult for me to get excited over modern stuff. For me the old coins are just of a higher caliber in design, actual material and they hold value (well... silver does).

The beginning of the State Quarters is just about where I cut off the modern stuff except halves...just b/c I like them.

I think this W idea is a good thing for drumming up more interest. If I got one, I might keep it, but also might sell it.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I happen to find one. I will put it in a 2x2 for my grandson other then that no interest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2184 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a few rolls and always check my change...won't buy any from the 'bay.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
3345 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm looking through pocket change and hunting the rolls. Can't hurt to have them for face value! So far I've found 19 of the Lowell W's in only 14 rolls!

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg
Some of my best/favorite finds:
1888-O $1 "Hot Lips" DDO VAM- 4 http://goccf.com/t/363580
1941 LWC DDO FS-103 http://goccf.com/t/361222
1859 IHC RPD FS-303 S-3 http://goccf.com/t/359464#3089369
1942 LWC DDO FS-104 http://goccf.com/t/344022
1963 25˘ Type B reverse http://goccf.com/t/352858

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10246 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd set of choices for a poll but I selected "I will be collecting" even though "I'll be buying from ebay" and "I'll be checking my change" are also valid choices for me.

Quote:
I will look for them, but ultimately I will probably buy them from the same dealers that sell me the circulation strike S-Mint ATBs.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2184 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So far I've found 19 of the Lowell W's in only 14 rolls!

Nice going CH27.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
854 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I bought 10 rolls of AMP Ds from those same people selling the S mint mark quarters website. Even says on there unsearched for the "w" mintmark.

Well guess what? Not a single W in 10 rolls. Abut 2 weeks later, now they sell the Ws!

As far as that's concerned, that's a total scam they are searching and taking out the Ws, and rewrapping them to sell to people, suckered like me paying about $5 over face per roll.

Fool me once...... lol
Edited by Big-Kingdom
05/23/2019 8:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19063 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stopped collecting Quarters with the State ones.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm searching change and rolls,have people searching change and rolls from their work for me and a few tellers that will call me when they see the roll enders. and if I don't find any in a few months, I'll probally have to buy from Ebay, my dealer doesn't deal with most moderns
Pillar of the Community
United States
769 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found three of the Lowell W's. I kept the two nicest for the collection and flipped the other on eBay. Plan is to do this with each of the designs if I can manage.
Lincoln Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Complete / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Complete / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 4 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 6 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 30 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Pillar of the Community
United States
854 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At this point I've just found AMP Ws. If that continues I'm hoping when prices stabilize I can trade to someone 1 for 1 to get a full set maybe at a coin show or something. I don't think one design will be worth more than another over time they all have the same mintages, but condition will be a factor in the long run. Still, looks like from the bay that both currently released are starting to settle around $10-$15, some of the AMP ones hitting near $20. But the gap is narrowing now. So a 1 to 1 trade should be doable down the road in order to get a full set.

Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might pick up some boxes at the end of the year hoping 1 or 2 slipped through the cracks
Valued Member
Canada
446 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2019  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just collecting the ATB by type, not mint mark. That being said, I will hold onto them if I come across them in rolls or change.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05