Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Large Cents, How Many Varieties.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  09:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Since I bought a whole mess of large cents recently, I got to wondering. How many "legitimate" varieties of large cents are there?

What do you consider the definition of varieties to be?

PCGS shows a "Canadian Large Cents with Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1858-1920)" registry set as 100% complete. They show 61 coins in that set.

CCCS doesn't show any varieties in their population reports?

ICCS does not have a website?

ICG, well, can't seem to navigate their website very well.

ANACS website made me cry when I tried to look at population reports.

Coins and Canada website show 76 or so.

Haven't checked my Charlton yet.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1255 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very hard to answer, I think everyone here may have a different number seeing the varieties are quite vast
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1381 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can get your hands on a 2011 Charlton Canadian coin book 65th Edition in the back of the book shows over 80 different varieties in the Queen Victoria, Rob Turner has books out on Canadian large cent coins all well worth the cash
Pillar of the Community
United States
2411 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with papel on the 2011 (65th edition) of Charlton. However, we did not include ALL of the popular varieties for each date and we only covered the Vickies. If I had to approximate, I'd say that there are at least 120 "legitimate" Vicky varieties without getting into the weeds and another 25 or so that are nice examples to have. Our definition of "variety" is something that the mint "purposely" put into the working die or hub, be it new portraits, repunched letters/digits, font changes or anything else done by the mintmaster or foreman on the floor (with the boss's permission).

Die cracks, cuds, rotations, Mechanical Doubling, die deterioration and the like are ERRORS, not varieties. Errors are things caused by machines, material or, sometimes, man and normally add no value at all. Buy Rob Turner's first 2 books on the Provincial Cents and "Dies and Diadems" ... you'll never regret it.

BTW, only the '00 and '07 have H mintmarks in addition to the normal ones. There ARE H ,intmarks on the '76, '81, '82, '90 and '98, but those were the only types minted those years.
Edited by okiecoiner
05/26/2019 1:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with papeldog and okiecoiner about getting the 2011 Charlton. It's a great place to start with varieties.

For the 3 1859's you got, you can go to Dr. Haxby's website to identify them if they are narrow 9's. It lists all 248 die pairs with lots of photos to help you ID the coins. Die cracks and re-punched numbers or letters are the best markers to look for. Here is the link to that site:

https://www.vickycents.com/
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate all the quick responses.

My Charlton is 2008, I've been thinking it's time for an update, but now I'll look for a 2011 instead of 2019.

I've been at the https://www.vickycents.com/ website many times.

Those books by Rob Turner are looking good, gonna have to place an order soon.

I've been collecting these beauties for maybe 40 years (off and on), just never got excited about varieties until recently.

Edited by joecoin
05/26/2019 8:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1398 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My currently unfinished/unpublished book on Canadian Large Cent Varieties is at 225 "legitimate" varieties, or 225 specific die pairs, all of which I own.

I've kept the die cracks and die clashes in my book to a minimum. I've excluded the off metals (1859 Brass is an error), or coinage vs medal alignments (errors not varieties).

We all stand on the shoulders of giants, and the giants for the Canadian Large Cent Varieties are:

1. Rob Turner's Books.
2. Charlton 2011 Variety Section
3. Haxby 1859 Catalogue

Between those three, you're about 65-70% there for Canadian Large Cent Varieties. And you need all 3.

All three are brilliant, key, and really form the foundation of anything that is to come in the future.

I believe that Jack Griffin and Hans Zoell deserve a mention, for putting forward their efforts, however, there are only a couple of interesting varieties that are covered by Griffin or Zoell that are not covered in the "big 3".

Enjoy

Edited by canadian-varieties
05/27/2019 03:28 am
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My currently unfinished/unpublished book on Canadian Large Cent Varieties ...

Well, let's get that sucker published so I only have to purchase one reference!
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need some further assistance please.

I'm looking online for 2011 Charlton, Amazon Canada shows one but the reviews are saying it has the expanded dollar varieties section, not the Victorian large cents.

Am I looking for the 65th edition?

Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1381 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joecoin, this is the book to look for but it might be hard to locate one at published prices
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2019  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing that cover makes me smile. We had a lot of fun writing the variety section, plus I took the cover photos of a W9/8 from my collection.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarification.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05