Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Satisfaction In Completing A Registry Set

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
790 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  03:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought my first Canadian specimen large cent, an 1858 now in a PCGS SP63BN holder, as a raw coin from Chuck Moore in 1982. Back then, it was more than I could afford (I remember it well at $500USD). I started collecting specimen large cents in earnest in 2007, when I bought an 1859 specimen cent from Mike Walsh. Over the following years, I bought more of these magnificent coins.

A few years ago, I was stuck, unable to acquire the really rare and really high-grade pieces, so I approached a Canadian dealer to assist me in completing the set. He ended up helping me a great deal, but his initial comment was; "you won't live long enough." In many eras, he would have been be right, but sometimes fortune smiles upon you and the coins you need unexpectedly become available. They did for me, culminating with the Eric Beckman sale in 2015 and the current Cornerstone sale in 2019. Those two collections contained some of the very best specimen cents and, by unifying my purchases from them, I was able to not only fill in my gaps, but also upgrade several coins and finish the set as defined by PCGS. I believe this is the first complete set, since the registry sets began. It may be the first ever assembled, as the 1898-H and 1912 specimen cents were not in the public domain until the 1980's.

https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ca...meset/165324
Pillar of the Community
Canada
929 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, great set! That is a neat body of work over 37 years. Hope you had a little celebration somewhere.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2407 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  06:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Rob, you have reached the pinnacle of the long incline that we numismatists try to climb. You have the first specimen set, as well as the spectacular circulating Registry set. Both of those are capped by the 4, soon to be 5, bibles for Canadian large set collectors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment!
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, what a great set.

Which coin do you favor the most?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36546 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remarkable accomplishment, congrats!
Valued Member
Canada
327 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  09:23 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing feat! Congrats!

If someone offered to buy the set from you, what would the price be? Or is there no price?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4532 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can only wish, great collection congrats.
Learn More...
Canada
8465 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  09:55 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assume that some specimen strikes, like 1884, are not in the set composition due to their rarity?
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
1643 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing set. Congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The short answer on the 1884 is there has never been one in the PCGS census. It was originally in an NGC holder and now is in a PCGS body bag. Others, such as the 1898H and 1912 are rare, with only two of each in private hands, so that is not the reason.

The longer answer is that there are many, many misunderstood things about large cent specimens. I have completed a manuscript about them that tries to make sense of them. I hope to have it published by late this year.
Edited by bosox
06/11/2019 12:28 pm
Learn More...
United States
72097 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
801 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well-done. Any pics ( or did I miss the on PCGS?)
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi res photos will be in the book
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2203 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Rob,

I've enjoyed your publications, as well as drooling over your coins. Happy it was you that completed this epic quest. Well deserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Joecoin - I really do not have a favorite large cent specimen, but would probably choose one of my large cent patterns (not in the PCGS set), if pushed. Deductible - the value of the set is moot, as it is not for sale.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05