Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

You Vs ICCS NFLD 1873 50 Cent

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
505 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  9:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, whats the opinion about this one?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41482 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll lead off with VF-20.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5429 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF30
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
905 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a tough one. There is almost no detail in the braid. The laurel wreath is virtually just an outline. Yet, there is more detail in the hair than I would expect based on the braid and wreath. I suspect this is a combination of a soft strike and circulation. The braid and wreath look VG-10, but the hair looks F-15. ICCS certainly grasps strike weakness better than PCGS, but is much more cautious on grading. I would call this F-15, but I could see ICCS coming in at F-12.
Pillar of the Community
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a tough one.

That wear on the cheek and braid does seem excessive compared to the rest of the obverse. Perhaps it is a bent coin?

The reverse center seems to show much less wear than the obverse. If it was bent , the reverse devices would be protected.
Valued Member
Canada
373 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  07:52 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wear looks totally normal to me. And I doubt this coin is bent.

F-15 al day
Pillar of the Community
Canada
505 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin is not bent. ICCS would comment on it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So much for that theory.

It's odd how the obverse shows much more wear than the reverse.

At least, it's odd to me.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1329 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This would be an ICCS f12 imo
Pillar of the Community
Canada
505 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ICCS F15 guys
Pillar of the Community
Canada
505 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know if this coin is on the population report for any MS - grade of this date?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
905 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad ICCS came in at 15 on your coin. It's a nice collectible fifty cent!

I don't have an ICCS population report. My last one was 2016, and I loaned it out and it never came back. I know you can buy a report from ICCS, but many local dealers have them and may sell an outdated report for less.

FWIW, the PCGS Canada population report is online.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
505 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! F15 is resonable. Just looked over the PCGS link and 1873 & 1874 no Mint State coins recorded.
Valued Member
Canada
373 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  10:09 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wear on this coin is completely normal. Wear on the queens braid happens long before you notice any wear at all on the reverse side.
Pillar of the Community
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, I know that design wears down on the obverse firs.

I just felt there should be more wear on the reverse on this one, based on the flatness on her cheek and the braid.

While I don't have hundreds of silver Vickies, I do have quite a few in various grades and none of them have this (what I call uneven) wear.
Valued Member
Canada
357 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is properly graded to a T at F-15. Both the reverse and obverse show proper even wear for an F-15 victoria newfie 50 cent in my opinion. This appears to be a flat strike to me, this series often had a convex strike which would greatly increase the wear of the center of the reverse as well as increase the sharpness of frame. The flat vs convex strike can often confuse people when grading coins like this.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05