Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 Steel Penny I Dug Up At The River.

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  03:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Timgrantham992 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I go to the river a few times a week usually finding fishing poles or late 1800's bottles. Well this time I found an akro agate marble, civil war buckels and shell casings, four other wheat pennies and a 1911 D Barber half dollar. I'm 100% sure that it's real as I found it myself and also it IS magnetic and also does not make the same ping when flipped in my hand. I want to sell it but I can't afford to send it off to PCGS and also wouldn't want to let this out my sight lol. So I'm looking for any alternative ideas on what to do. I would be willing to meet a buyer at Hartsfield International Airport in Atlanta or at a coin shop there to have it examined. Any ideas or suggestions is appreciated and thank you everyone, God Bless.
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The green patina would indicate a regular bronze cent, also I see no rust. Not sure why it would be magnetic but I see no indication that it is a steel cent. Is it strongly magnetic or just slightly?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11921 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I want to sell it but I can't afford to send it off to PCGS

First welcome to CCF. Second, this is not a forum for selling coins, but rather a forum for learning about coins. If you stick around, there is a threshold where are allowed to sell coins. More info here:

http://goccf.com/t/221419

I'm glad you found us and are posting your finds, but please respect the rules that have been set up.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Timgrantham992 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With a weak magnet it will pick up, also if you thumb flip pre-zinc pennies they kind of ring like the silver coins but flipping this one it just makes a thud noise, as if it were a denser metal. I don't have a scale but I'm sure it will weigh less then 3.1. and let me get some better light and take a few extra pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1570 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should test the other wheat cents you found with a magnet to see if they are attracted to it.
The environment will leach copper from your coin . If iron is present in your soil or water or was in close proximity, deposits of that iron may have replaced in your coin the leached copper
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Timgrantham992 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I checked the other coins and none are magnetic and also this 44 does appear rusty

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Timgrantham992 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Weight is 2.7 and I do believe that is the steel penny weight
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27976 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not rusty,corroded. Still need better pics though.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1570 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for the extra pics.
I do see the rust , but there is predominantly the green of oxidizing copper. The weight is correct for a fresh undamaged steel cent but were it one in this condition it should weigh less.
Because of what I have mentioned above, were it mine , I would conclude that the coin is a normal composition 1944 that spent at least part of it's life outside, nestled against a piece of iron. Enough of the iron, from oxidation, has adhered to the coin to make the coin have an attraction to a magnet
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37685 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That says it well.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27976 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Enough of the iron, from oxidation, has adhered to the coin to make the coin have an attraction to a magnet

You would think there would be an increase in weight.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1570 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There would have been an overall decrease in weight from the leaching effect of the environment on the copper. Acid could be said to leach metal from a copper coin , just more dramatically.
I have dug copper coins that if cleaned too aggressively, the thin outer shell of patina will give way to an inner core of metal that is pitted from leaching.
Edited by stoneman227
06/17/2019 10:16 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37924 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scary! Probably one of the ugliest coins I've seen.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Timgrantham992 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But copper coins do not corrode in water.... This penny was right along with a bag of other wheat pennies and yes they all are greenish but not one of the other ones have any rust or pitting or anything like this one... I'm omw to a coin dealer now to see what they believe.. All the facts I've read before about the steel cent are the exact qualities of this coin and now all of a sudden it's something else lol
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37924 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What color is the Statue of Liberty? What is the Statue of Liberty made of? That is exactly what happens with copper and water get together.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/17/2019 11:27 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1570 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I seriously wish you the absolute best of luck.
I can only go off what I see and the coins I have dug
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05