Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Odds Of Finding A Doubled Die

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  09:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It seems to me that pennies, nickels & dimes are found to be doubled on here more than any other coins. So since I'm only searching quarters & Kennedy's, can anyone give me a ballpark idea of the average number of Kennedy's or quarters you go through before you find a doubled die? There have been several questionable ones I have discarded and probably shouldn't have until I learned more, but I guess that's a rookie mistake. But I have went through a BUNCH of coins and still haven't found one doubled die that just slaps you in the face when you look at it. Or a very obvious one you can see with the naked eye. I'm just trying to get an idea of approximately how much time you spend looking at each coin and how many coins you may look through before finding a doubled one when it comes to quarters or Kennedy's? Even though coop said my last find was very minor doubling, I think he was just trying to be nice since nobody else chimed in so I will be on the warpath all day today to find a doubled die.
Helen Keller could find a DDO easier than me
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  10:07 am  Show Profile   Check Dave42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dave42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have actually found few doubled dies on quarters, but only on the newer State Quarter and ATB series. Some of the designs seem more prone to doubling than others, but you may need a microscope or good loupe to help you see some of them. Check out Wexlers website to see what to look for. http://doubleddie.com/228401.html
Edited by Dave42
06/25/2019 10:08 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2339 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  11:31 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really depends on whether you get mostly Denver or mostly Philly minted coins.

I get mostly Philly coins and I get a doubled die in around 1 in every 2 or 3 rolls of quarters, almost always an ATB DDR like Dave42.

If you get mostly Denver coins, odds are pretty bad. Doubled dies are almost nonexistent on the newer Denver coins. You'd have to get lucky and find one of the rare 60s-70s DDs or try to find a newer Philly coin to have a chance.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That could be a big part of my problem tanman, it seems like almost all of my coins are Denver mint. I live in Oregon so could that be because I live on the west coast?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39439 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The machinery At Denver is a lot newer than the Philly mint. So wear and tear on the hubbing process creates more doubled dies. In time Denver will have more as the hub process continues to wear down with use.
http://doubleddie.com/58201.html
How dies are made from Wexler's site.

If you go to coin shows, the OBW rolls from years gone by, are the best way to find doubled die/RPMs. Why? Because you are the first one to look at that roll. I've paid as much for a roll as $100. It was a roll that was put together from the best examples from a mint bag years ago. That sounds expensive, but they are 1949-S Wheat cents and all are higher grades. I've sold some in the past for $10+. Still have 7/8's of a roll still left.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is an OBW roll?
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Btw, you have great YouTube videos coop
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15804 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason you see so many more doubled dies on the cents is because of how many more dies they have to use to strike thema cent die will strike 1 -1.5 million coins so between 4,000 and 2,600 pair of dies are needed to strike 4 billion cents. If one die in a thousand dies gets past the inspectors as doubled you would expect there to be between 2 and 4 doubled dies per year. But for quarters typical mintage is around 260 million and a quarter die last for around half a million strikes so about 520 dies. At the same 1 in a thousand rate you would expect one doubled die out of every other design or about two per year.

What doesn't make sense is why some years have so many such as the Minnesota State Quarter that has over 68 DDR, or the 2009 LP2 cent that has something like 100 different DDR. for the cent it would have meant that close to one out of every three rev dies was a doubled die.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24516 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OBW stands for Original Bank Wrapped.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Machine Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Split Plate Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/357614
2000 P LMC With Retained Struck Through error. http://goccf.com/t/357080
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the info, good stuff!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39439 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I was checking to see if I still have all those images. They are somewhere? I still have the home video files for DVD. Seems like there were around 900 images for the you tube video files. My online image host show 9,773 images there. Almost 10K. Just be a few more days. I'm always adding images for education stuff all the time.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can do!

My spreadsheet tells me I went thorough 189 boxes of halves over several years.

189,000 half dollars yielded:
1. 4192 1971-D with 8 DDOs
2. 3348 1972-P with 4 DDOs (two minor ones)
3. 1756 1973-D with 2 DDOs
4. 1671 1974-D with 7 DDOs
5. 457 1977-D with 1 DDO

I kept the DDOs that were evident without needing a microscope. I don't care for ones that are very minor. I found a LOT of very minor 1971-Ds

Please note the above numbers represent, for eaxmple, For 1977-D only one in 457 were DDO. But remember it took me going through 189,000 halves to find 457 1977-D halves to look at!

Don't get discouraged though. If you look at the list I posted on your other thread about what else to look for, it can be an awful lot of (addicting) fun.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
06/25/2019 5:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to find one visible to the naked eye as you flip through a bunch of coins, well, that's probably not going to happen in your lifetime. Finding doubling takes more examination, and in most cases some type of magnification.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nick - I consider the ones I listed above as being visible to the naked eye. At least they were to mine. Of course that was before I needed reading glasses
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42, you are exactly the person I needed to talk to! Perfect answer, it's making a lot more sense now. I thought I had been through a lot of Kennedy's lol.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nick10, the 74 Kennedy is notorious for being the best coin that you can see doubling with the naked eye. Of course I use a microscope but I always look at them good with my eyes first. USS has some nice ones
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05