Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Fill Out Folders? (Wheat, Buffalo, Etc)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  01:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wyvern_64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a small collection currently, and would like to start filling out folders for these types:

Wheat Pennies
Buffalo nickels
Mercury and Silver Roosevelt dimes
Silver Washington quarters
... and maybe others in similar date ranges.

I have filled folders for more modern types by coin roll hunting, but I doubt that's a good way to fill these, and I don't have that much time anymore. How do you guys usually go about this?

My first thought is to try buying various "lots" on eBay or CL, but I'm not extremely confident with those. They all look a little scammy and I bet they've all been searched and are selling for more than what they'd sell as individual or listed items... maybe there are some good sellers out there? These random lots also seem like the most exciting and interesting method if they're not a rip off.

If that doesn't work, the only other way I know of is to buy each one individually, which is fine but a bit less fun. I know lot searching will result in many duplicates, but part of the fun is choosing the best of the duplicates and deciding what to keep or sell.

Thoughts? Thanks!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sisu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to buy the harder dates.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11219 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , Filling those folders that your asking about, you can abort the idea of CRH . Finding silver Buffs and wheats in this day and age in my opinion is a waste of time . Your best bet would be to hit e-bay lots . Just thread lightly and don't over pay .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2364 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can buy the common dates in lots on eBay, but the better dates and key date will most likely need to be purchased as individuals if you want quality coins. Buying in lots the silver common dates will most likely be worth melt value. You also may want to buy the key dates in TPG holders to stay away from counterfeits.
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a local coin shop, they usually sell "junk" silver in bulk, from which you can pll lots of dates. Unless you are looking for higher grade coins.

eBay is not the only game in town, just the biggest. There are a myriad number of small dealers who have an online presence. Many of them advertise (and contribute) here. Why not show your thanks by patronizing them?

Additionally, if a coin show ever comes to your area, be sure to attend.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39337 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have a LCS?

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1393 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Additionally, if a coin show ever comes to your area, be sure to attend

Agreed.

Many dealers carry bulk Wheats, Buffs, etc. to shows and it is always a very popular place. You can dig out most of the common dates in a lot like that. Also have something like that at most coin shops as mentioned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6059 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know APMEX has been cited on this forum as selling circulated lots of silver coins. While its doubtful you would find any keys, it could be fun getting a large lot and searching for not only varieties, but also for the ones to fill the holes.

Keys will likely need to be bought.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18258 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check the internet for coin shows in your area. If you go to one you will probably find everything you need.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
619 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2019  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say if you do it and you insist on searching lots ect. start with the silver, the Quarters and the dimes. your duplicates can then, even at melt values, be used to work on the other sets. if you do it the other way you will have a lot of common date no melt value coins left over.

Might as well stack some silver while working on the mercs, roosies, and washingtons sets. then use the doubles/extras for key dates or to work on the other sets without melt value. who knows, maybe silver will shoot up again at some point in the time it takes to put the silver sets together and you'll be able to cash out along the way with a profit on it.

I worked on my sets from the the 1980s-1990s-2000s, when silver was pretty cheap, but I couldn't resist in 2011 when silver was near $50 and ounce to sell off all my extras and even worse condition hole fillers to start again and get better examples.

Just saying I guess, that working on the silvers like this has a shot of leaving you pleasantly surprised if the prices shoot up. lots of buffalo's or wheat cents are always gonna be that.

Now I started as a kid and in those years it took on a low budget I got as far as I did from circulation finds. it would take you much longer to do it that way now, just isn't that much silver out there anymore to be found.
Buying lots of silver and keeping track of the costs of the lots would be the way to do it now, so you know exactly what silver price needs to be broken so you don't lose and get your money back when you do sell... something to keep in mind if you start buying lots and holding the extras and doubles and you can also sell your extras that are better dates than melt value, there's that too.

in the end, I think if you start with wheats and nickels though, you'll have a lot of stuff left over that won't change much in value over time if at all, no real possibility for a decent gain that could get you further along,,,, but it would be cheaper to work on those than the silvers for the most part.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
07/26/2019 09:49 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05