Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Woody's, Wood Toned Coins - I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2254 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  7:24 pm Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thread started for everyone to showcase their "woody" coins

I don't normally don't go out of my way to collect anything above 1860, but these woody cents have caught my eye lately.

I guess I'm starting a woody set!

Edited by Wade
07/21/2019 7:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1710 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1471 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of woody collectors here. I love them, too.

Here is an old topic with pages of photos. I'd post yours on there as well.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2254 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one with several small laminations going with the grain. What a difference going from a full-spectrum neon to an LED frosted lightbulb makes on the 3rd one. (real colour in hand is like the 3rd)

Edited by TerryT
08/15/2019 8:16 pm
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do these coins become "wood toned"? I see a lot of EF-AU pennies on eBay with inflated premiums and I'm just curious if this is an organic process or something similar to artificial toning.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2581 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, they came from the mint like that ... I have a number of them. It's my opinion that it was caused by a final wash/rinse that they received coming down the line before they went into the bins. They are quite common for post-WW1 Geos, but I've seen Eds with them as well.
Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1907 with woodgrain on one side only.

Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  03:06 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Am I the only one with any ? Here's another Edward VII (that I just happen to be listing this week).

Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  12:26 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Wade, looks like there aren't many that have these. We may corner the market.
I fear this topic will fade away after seeing ALL the other collector's posts, so here's my best and last, a bulk lot find for about $3. What they look like before going brown.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2268 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice all!

I only have one to add. A more modern one.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05