Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identification On Possible Iranian Copper Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1372 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  8:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think this coin may be from Iran. I see similar designs but I don't see an exact match.

Composition: Copper
Weight: 5.41 g

Based off the weight I am guessing some sort of 1/2 Falus.

The sun was moving as I took pictures. Here is a better picture of the text on the reverse:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12466 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that with the lion and sun it is most likely Persia--perhaps Safavid Dynasty?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1372 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Safavid Dynasty does have a flag with the sun having eyes and a nose. I will look further there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
729 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint name is Khuy. The date should be below the lion but yours is weakly struck in that spot. The coins below are the same type but I can't confirm the date on either. KM lists only a few types for Khuy in the 18th- and 19th-century volumes. Album suggests Khuy was a long-working mint with many types.

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=162427
https://auction.ru/offer/anonimnyj_...50114.html#1
Edited by Kushanshah
08/12/2019 02:11 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1372 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The mint name is Khuy. The date should be below the lion but yours is weakly struck in that spot. The coins below are the same type but I can't confirm the date on either. KM lists only a few types for Khuy in the 18th- and 19th-century volumes. Album suggests Khuy was a long-working mint with many types.

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=162427
https://auction.ru/offer/anonimnyj_...50114.html#1

I think you are right. Unfortunately the area where the date is is either worn smooth or it just was not struck. I have found similar examples after looking on vcoins. This coin is certainly in the anonymous civic coinage category. It at least narrows things down.

I wonder if they had a frozen date like other Islamic coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
729 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Iranian civic coinage. I would assume the dates are actual but minting may have been as-needed, not on a strictly annual basis. To my knowledge, this area has not been well studied and there is no concise reference available. Album lists more than 70 mints for this period and notes that some of the more prolific mints such as Khuy may have struck as many as 100 different types. The Ashmolean (SICA-9, 718) has an example just like the Zeno coin but clearly dated 1282. On the Zeno example, only "12" is clear and the collector lists the date as 12[82], citing as a reference Kutelia Tinatin, Catalogue of the Iranian copper coins: in the State Museum of Georgia, Tbilisi, 1990, no. 352.

I would catalogue it as follows: Iranian Civic Copper, Khuy, AE falus, date missing (c. mid-19th century). O: Lion left wielding sword, sun behind, all within wreath. R: Within beaded circle, duriba / falus / Khuy. Cf. SICA-9, 718 (dated 1282) and Zeno 162427 (partial date 12xx); Album 3243.
Edited by Kushanshah
08/19/2019 01:14 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1372 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, Iranian civic coinage. I would assume the dates are actual but minting may have been as-needed, not on a strictly annual basis. To my knowledge, this area has not been well studied and there is no concise reference available. Album lists more than 70 mints for this period and notes that some of the more prolific mints such as Khuy may have struck as many as 100 different types. The Ashmolean (SICA-9, 718) has an example just like the Zeno coin but clearly dated 1282. On the Zeno example, only "12" is clear and the collector lists the date as 12[82], citing as a reference Kutelia Tinatin, Catalogue of the Iranian copper coins: in the State Museum of Georgia, Tbilisi, 1990, no. 352.

I would catalogue it as follows: Iranian Civic Copper, Khuy, AE falus, date missing (c. mid-19th century). O: Lion left wielding sword, sun behind, all within wreath. R: Within beaded circle, duriba / falus / Khuy. Cf. SICA-9, 718 (dated 1282) and Zeno 162427 (partial date 12xx); Album 3243.

It is crazy to me to think that even in this day and age when we can instantaneously communicate back and forth that we would be lacking in reference materials, or that there would be people who are not studying an area.

I had not thought of referencing the Zeno number for coins before. Thank you.

Do you have an account on Zeno? I have tried to sign up for a number of years. Is the site still active.
Pillar of the Community
United States
729 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Islamic coins have not been studied as closely as other series, at least in the west. Zeno is indeed considered "publication" and is the database of record for oriental coins. You will find it cited in academic papers, hobby publications and auction catalogs. There is a bug in Zeno's online registration system. To register, you can contact the site owner Vladimir by email "charm @ postman.ru" or "oldcharm @ yandex.ru".
Edited by Kushanshah
08/20/2019 7:03 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12466 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
I had not thought of referencing the Zeno number for coins before

I have started doing this in the last 12 months.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05