Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Peru 8 Escudos 1821 Real Or Fake?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Israel
6 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  1:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adiw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought this coin in an online auction, now that I got it, it looks too clean and luster to be a real one. Parameters looks fine:
26.94 gram
37 m"m
Not magnetic

Valued Member
Spain
89 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Return it if you have chance :(.

Regards!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16367 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin used to make the cast had significant circulation wear which translated to this copy. Circulation below perfect luster indicates polishing or casting.

Check the edge for a casting line, or if the edge has had casting lines with some attempt to remove them.
Israel
6 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adiw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No casting lines on the edges, and it doesn't look like someone was trying to remove those.
I don't think it's fake, but polished might be a good reason for the perfect luster this coin has.
Also the Rev looks better then any 8 escudos I've ever seen.
Edited by Adiw
08/11/2019 2:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4553 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a reason it is NOT third party graded. You need to figure out why before your option to return expires!
Israel
6 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adiw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bought it from an individual who claim that they found it in a double base table of an uncle who passed away 50 years ago.
I have 4 days to return it. If it's real, it'll be a big miss to send it back, but really it looks too good to be true.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16367 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I had 10% of the money spent on coins left by an uncle or grandfather hidden in an old house or in a piece of furniture I'd be mucho rich.

That story has been repeated ad infinitum because it SOUNDS true.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4553 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I honestly don't know if it's real or not but there is a huge cloud over it with that story of finding it in some of a deceased uncles furniture..

People claim they find stuff in the oddest places to make things sound more legitimate. It might be true, it might not be true.

Whatever it is it has been polished to death....that's for sure!

4 days is probably not enough time to get the coin professionally authenticated. I don't know what you gave for it but if you are ok with possibly losing that much money then you got more intestinal fortitude than most collectors!

Good luck!

Valued Member
Spain
89 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry mate, I've change my mind. I still don't like it, but I'm not sure if it is a fake. These one seems like same dies

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=554901

Anyway, if it's not a clone, it has been used as jewelry so much time, look the texture of the fields, and has been polished on a very aggresive way. It is seriously damaged.

The only thing I can tell you right now is I would never buy a doubtful coin for my collection, and this one is soooo doubtful :(

Regards!
Israel
6 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adiw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's authentic and just polished, I'll be fine with it.
As I've paid for it just a bit over the gold value of the coin.
I'm more afraid that it's not 875% gold and that the metal used is of a lesser value.
Thanks for all your help.
Israel
6 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adiw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just came back from a jewelry store that run some tests, they are sure it's a 875% gold.
So the gold value is in there.
What's the point in counterfeiting something that doesn't worth more then the value of the material it's made off.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2053 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be an ex-jewelry piece where the reverse was protected while the obverse was worn, nicked and polished over several years
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
Israel
6 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adiw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks
Learn More...
United States
21280 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
they are sure it's a 875% gold.

That's better than 100% gold!
Israel
6 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adiw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold is rated out of 999.9%
Edited by Adiw
08/12/2019 3:26 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05