Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Errors And Varieties , What ?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11432 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  8:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Being on this coin forum for as long as I have I see most members if not 95% of them are into errors & varieties . While I never really got into this way of collecting ,I've picked up a lot of info on the subject just clicking on to members threads on E&V. My question is , Is there anyone besides me on this forum that collects only by Date ,Mint and Condition of any denomination ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scstrawn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with you for the most part, but I do have just a few varieties. Usually the more noticeable ones that I don't need a microscope to see.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2394 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not to start anything, but we have a ton of newbies that come on here and ask what have I got, and how much is it worth, and should I get it graded, there are way too many people on ebay, selling so called DDR, DDO, multi struck, die adjustment strike, and etc, type coins.., that it sullies the market.. on the left side of this screen click on us error coins, and see how many of them are not errors or varieties.. But they sell . I for one, would never collect them without knowing what I am buying,,and there is a lot of members on here who know what they are selling, there is just to much garbage in the ocean, for me,,,my thought only..

I am not trying to paint everyone with the same brush here.. there are just a lot of scammers, and people who don't know any better trying to sell the same or similar coins..
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been trying to get all coins from certain years. Also, I have been trying to get a lot of S mints, I have at least one S mint of every denomination, but want to grow it. You are not the only one. However, most people would not mind finding some error coins, because they have a history and are more rare.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12372 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Usually the more noticeable ones that I don't need a microscope to see.

This. I can get into some varieties but I just don't care about them if you can't notice them with the naked eye
Pillar of the Community
United States
5141 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To each their own I guess. I do both. I often sell duplicates to buy and fill new holes, or upgrading existing ones. My US Type Set has been financed by CRH, primarily by the variaties and such I find. It's an encentive. I don't collect for profits, but I do reinvest them, for example, I just sold a duplicate S-VDB and bought a MS61 Seated quarter and an MS63 Seated dime to fill holes. I got it for much less then it was worth and reinvested the profits. I'll often do this by tubing minor RPMs or doubled dies and selling them by the roll.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18430 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only collect coins by date, type, mint, etc. Just collect to complete an Album. All coins go into Albums and if the Album requires a variety or error coin, then I do have to collect those. For example that stupid 1922 plain Lincoln Cent. Or all of those 1982 Cents. Then there is that dumb 42/41 Mercury dime thing. And Shield nickels that have Proof only required. I hate all those different types of coins that are not really supposed to be normal but due to some manufacturers wanting to make their Albums bigger, now slots for those too. I really would like an Album of just normal, everyday, made coins.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11432 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with silverwolf and just carl . The error & variety thing should be a separate hobby away from general coin collecting . Like I said I started filling folders and albums in the early 60's not minding any errors or sm. dts ,lrg. dts., no D 1922 cents or any other crap . Like Carl says: just date , mint, type and denomination .
I am not knocking any other type of collectors . You do your own thing and that's fine . I do my own thing too .
But like silverwolf says: Todays coin collector is almost brainwashed with all these errors & varieties on coin forums ,the internet, etc .This makes a newbie think that's the only way to collect and so they go on E-bay and buy every E&V they see , fakes or not . Ladies and Gents ,I'm no coin Guru and this is just my honest opinion on this subject .

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4581 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
....I have both Canadian and US but I do have some E&V
Pillar of the Community
United States
2360 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there anyone besides me on this forum that collects only by Date ,Mint and Condition of any denomination ?

Yes. But I pretty much stopped actively collecting U.S. coins by 1980, and I don't remember so much hoopla about varieties back then. The 1955 DDO was not something you had much chance of finding in change, and I never took much interest even in finding the more common 1960 Lincoln varieties. I do have one older foreign variety I picked up by chance in a lot recently, and kept.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40379 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-BOP - I've never been interested in minor errors and do my best to give them away when I come across them.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with just carl.
I collect by type, date and mint mark. There's way too much in the way of varieties for my feeble mind to process and catalogue.
The only varieties that I can think of off hand that I've actively searched for and bought were a few proof Kennedy halves (accent hair and a couple type 2's) that I wanted to include in the set I put together.
I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BobK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with just carl as well. If the album has a hole for it I'll (maybe) fill it. But I don't consider the 42/1 Mercury or the 22 no D as anything special and would leave a hole for such unfilled.

If I come across an error in change I'll keep it, but I won't pay a premium for one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1438 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the odd RPM and date doubling, but haven't gotten into the variety side of collecting. Lot's of new collectors like these types of anomalies, and that may help keep the hobby active. How many of them eventually move into traditional collecting?

There are quite a few websites dedicated to this type of collecting. Consider the VAMming crowd. That has turned into big business!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15743 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The error & variety thing should be a separate hobby away from general coin collecting .

That is why it has this separate section here on the website.

While I did collect date and mint I now do more in die varieties, but not the "errors and varieties" that you are most likely meaning. On the other hand I have always enjoyed learning as much about everything as possible, even those things I don't collect.

I'm sure one of the reasons there is so much concentration on the errors and varieties is because unlike the time of our youth some of us remember, if is for the most part no longer possible to get lucky and find a rare date/mint coin in circulation. For the most part anything before 1965 is pretty much impossible. Sure you may find the occasional common silver coin, and some wheat cents or early Jeffersons, but you are not going to be able to collect a set of Wheat cents, or silver dime quarters etc from coin roll hunting. (You may still be able to make a good dent in a set of Jefferson nickels though).

Most anything after 1964 is too easy, and the sets can be put together from roll hunting in just a few days (The S mint coins will be tougher but they are out there, at least the ones intended for circulation.) Where is the challenge/fun in that?

So what does this mean for the newbie collector? It means that during his "learning curve" he either has to buy all of his coins (older and NIFC) which an older newbie with an established career could do, but not a youngster, or they can turn to the one section of collecting where it is still possible to find things in rolls/circulation. That is the error and varieties field. It is the only fertile ground still open for newbies, especially young ones. So it is no wonder it gets such interest. The problem though is often the youtube and other sites which give a skewed view of just how difficult it is to actually find things. these other sites semm to give the impression that "they're everywhere!". Then they don't give accurate information about how to really identify different errors, and the legitimate coin site get stuck holding the bag having to deflate the dreams of person after person whose FINDS! are not what they think they are.

And contrary to what some people think (especially newbies), we do not enjoy bursting peoples bubbles. We would MUCH rather be able to tell people "Yes, you do have the scarce/rare item you think you have."
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect by date and mint mark and condition but since I was a kid going through my dad's and grandma's coin jars in the early 80s, and progressing on to coin roll hunting from there, errors and varieties is kind of a natural progression for me. I'm missing some key dates and semi keys ect from my sets I've been working on for years and I'll probably break down and buy them one day, but roll hunting is what keeps me coming back to it going on near 40 years.

Only coins I've bought above face are mint products, mostly silver proof sets and a few things here or thereven that I liked and wanted.

I guess when you've always collected by roll hunting and upgrading and looking at lots of coins it's natural to get into varieties like the 1960 or 1970s cents or the 1982 cents ect. Ect. And then you come across a mis-aligned die or an off center or a double struck ect. And that part kicks in also.

My LCS doesn't like me. He wants stackers to come in and buy bullion or coin collectors to come in and buy his overpriced coins in his cases collecting dust and while I look, I normally am buying flips or 2x2's or coin tube's, supplies only... oh and always 1 SAE bullioncoin a year an a airtight for it... my one other guilty pleasure that I buy each year.

If I had collected by buying examples and stuck to that I probably wouldnot roll hunt or care about errors and varieties that much at all, but to me it's like an added bonus since I'm looking through it all anyways.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05