Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

September 2019 Release

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4159 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not paying $129.95 for 30.76g silver.

While I agree that the $129.95 price tag on the silver Peace dollar seems a bit high, I don't think basing such a thought on the value of the silver it contains is the way to go.

One point of comparison, the Peace dollar's issue price is actually lower than the original issue price of the two high-relief SDs that preceded it. The 2008 Poppy SD and 2010 The Sun SD were each priced at $139.95. Factoring in inflation, today's price for the 2008 SD would be about $165.55; for the 2010 SD the price would be about $164.00. The RCM's price of $129.95 almost seems like a bargain!

A second point, the typical selling price of each of the earlier high-relief SDs in today's marketplace is more than its issue price - roughly a decade after release. The limited edition status of each coin (each had a 5,000 maximum mintage and achieved a sellout at the RCM) has supported its higher price point in the marketplace.

Thirdly, the maximum mintage of the 2020 Peace dollar is just 5,500. Some will argue that such a figure is too high, but I'll remind folks that the RCM still sells 10K+ of the standard commemorative SD each year. This indicates that the collector base for Canada's annual commemorative SD is about double the maximum mintage of the limited edition Peace SD. Demand has the potential to exhaust supply -- the RCM web site currently lists the coin at 96% sold (of its retained supply, who knows how many were ordered by dealers).

As regulars here know, the price of NCLT coins shouldn't be tied too tightly to bullion spot prices. The bullion value component of a NCLT coin's issue price is relatively unimportant, IMO. For me, it's more about the coin's artistry, historical relevance and, minimally, its potential demand in the marketplace. On these points, IMO, the new Peace SD earns high marks. When I want to purchase silver bullion, I'll buy SMLs or ASEs.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
575 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes commems those are all very good comments.

The third point is bang on. And as mentioned in other posts, I would rather the RCM stick with the "standard commemorative SD" format instead of marketing gimmicks like 5oz "dollars" and packaging combinations.

Cheers!
Edited by Alex A
09/04/2019 08:23 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4159 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Peace dollar is now showing as "Sold Out" on the RCM site, but is still available at other dealers.

Edited by commems
09/04/2019 11:02 am
Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Peace dollar is now showing as "Sold Out" on the RCM site, but is still available at other dealers.

Head over to TSC if your interested in acquiring one.There are many to go around.
Coin show starts tonight with Steven Bromberg at 7 pm eastern time. All new releases are pretty much available there from the RCM. Easy pay always available and cash back with the newly named Rakuten.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6567 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2019  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This type of RCM bullion can, imo, "beat" the numismatic offerings:

2 Oz Silver Mounted Police double dated 1920-2020 King George

Design - great++
I think, the very first RCM's 2oz / $10 bullion.
Suppose to be 38.6 mm diameter and thick.
Mintage not clear

Will wait for local dealers offers.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4159 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2019  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Design - great++

I agree, the coin has an attractive classic design.

Too bad the RCMP side is just a rehash of Paul Cedarberg's design that was used on the 1973 RCMP 25-cent coin (flipped horizontally for the new coin).

Pillar of the Community
Canada
575 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just noticed that the Pure Silver 6-Coin Subscription - Real Shapes - Mintage: 1,200 (2020) has been sold out.

CC&C and TSC both have the Real Shapes and Peace dollars in stock.

Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4159 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
CC&C and TSC both have the Real Shapes and Peace dollars in stock

They're available at Gatewest as well.

Valued Member
Canada
205 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received the Peace dollar coin yesterday. I like it.

I'm sure someone in the RCM office is planning a reverse-proof version right now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4159 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing your images! The coin looks great!

Quote:
I'm sure someone in the RCM office is planning a reverse-proof version right now.

The RCM's 2019 Peace/Liberty medal features the same design in reverse proof. It looks terrific!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6567 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Commems:

I am curious, and it silly to create thread / search through existing threads:

Did you get the USA Mint's recent extremely beautiful (imo) Eagle?

2019-P 2.5-oz Silver American Liberty High Relief Medal
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4159 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Silveroid: I haven't purchased the new American Liberty medal yet, but I do have the previous medals and will likely get the new one soon.

I do wish, however, that the US Mint had continued to issue the medal in a one-ounce planchet format vs. switching to a larger 2.5 ounce planchet.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6567 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for reply.
Always great to know other people opinions...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4159 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After an extended wait, my 2020 Peace SD arrived yesterday. The images posted above work for my coin as well.

I like the coin and believe the RCM did a very nice job producing Susan Taylor's design. Overall, the high-relief design and strike are impressive.

I'm happy to add it to my SD collection!

Edited by commems
10/12/2019 6:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After an extended wait, my 2020 Peace SD arrived yesterday
Mine also finally arrived on Friday. It looks terrific also (can't find a single mark on it anywhere). The only thing I don't like is the large 'coffin' it came in. I know the relief is high, but the plastic did not need to be 'that' thick. Also, I'm having a tough time figuring how to pop it out so I can put it in a 2x2 and my SD folder. I don't really want to break the coffin to open it, just in case one day I'd need to put the coin back in, but it's wedged pretty tight.

I'm still waiting for the delivery of the colored proof set. I think they sold out the first batch and are waiting to see how many to mint to satisfy buyer's needs.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05