Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1862 Half Penny Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  4:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cha05r31gn5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this 1862 Half Penny during cleaning out storage and I'm not sure of which variation of coin this could be. From research, I'm fairly certain this doesn't qualify for the A, B, C minting. Even in its worn down state, there doesn't appear to be any remnants of mint markings. However, I read of a couple other variations; one being a small date vs normal date. I'm not a coin collector and have little to no knowledge to determine the variation nor exact value. It could just be a the common variant that's worth just few dollars. Any help in grading the approximate condition and variation would be awesome. Thanks.

Learn More...
United States
78214 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5656 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks normal date to me. These Victorian 1860-94 halfpennies were minted in large numbers but also saw heavy use - the vast majority got worn down to virtually blank discs. Ones in similar condition to yours are much scarcer than you would think, and seem to sell for about 5 on eBay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MADabout...AOSwU9hc6tBi
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16000 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!
I cannot see die identifications letters 'A', 'B', or 'C' to the left of the lighthouse, despite your very good pictures.

The 1862 Half pennies that carry the die identification letters are quite scarce. The 1862 Halfpenny pictured appears to be the much more common variety, without die identification.

VG (British grading)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1397 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2019  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the date size difference was for 1862 pennies, not halfpennies.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
231 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2019  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Fortunately the 1862 Halfpenny is not one with a large number of varieties (like 1861 and 1860). This one clearly does not have the mint letters alongside the lighthouse, nor is it a prrof coin, so that only leaves the standard issue - obverse die 7, reverse die G making it F289. (Freeman numbers are used in many places to identify British Bronze coinage.)
I believe there is a new variation, not yet officially declared, where the rocks to the left of the lighthouse are missing, but yours has them present.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2019  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cha05r31gn5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much everyone. I didn't have much thought about this one being the rarer of these coins but it was much better to ask experts than to rely on my little bit of Google snafu searching. Oldest coin that I've come across in just a random find since it was in a storage building that hadn't been opened in quite some time. What little bit of information I did find led me to think it was just the mint in the millions of others. I mostly questioned the date of being the supposed small vs normal variation. However, it's more of a nice little keepsake for the desk at home than the $5-10 I would make off of it. I'm not a coin collector but I can appreciate the reasons why others pursue it. Take care and I'll probably not check back in until I come across other finds.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05