Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Poland 1555 Lithuanian Groschen

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  09:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think I will live to regret this purchase, but we'll see.
Received a few days ago, and just sent off to NGC.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13132 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice pick-up @tdz. Do you think that the flan was undersized to the die or was a small amount of silver harvested from this coin by trimming the edge?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
3959 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think I will live to regret this purchase...

Are you afraid you paid too much, concerned about its authenticity, or as Spence suggests worried that it's been clipped, and will come back from NGC certified as genuine but with a details annotation?

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
08/31/2019 12:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a coin that came through the NGC-eBay service rated as "likely genuine" before I bid on it, but some forum members have identified other coins listed later by this seller as definitely fake. The devices and legends are very true compared to those on authentic coins, as best I can tell from looking at examples from recent auction sales, but the condition (and price) are a little too good to be true (not that it was cheap).

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17850 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2019  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will be interesting to see what NGC thinks. Besides the harsh cleaning something just feels a bit off. The bread and head details seem very finely detailed for a coin in this era.
Valued Member
Lithuania
324 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh my gosh! I know the style of that counterfeiter!

Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Valued Member
Lithuania
324 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All these coins are'nt genuine......
Edited by giedrius
09/03/2019 2:22 pm
Valued Member
Lithuania
324 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is with no doubt genuine Lithuanian 1555 groat. Compare it. https://wcn.pl/eauctions/180621/det...a-grosz-1555
Pillar of the Community
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had remembered your post with those coins with the dark, uneven patina. But I did not remember the 1555 was one of them

I had compared it with this higher grade example on CoinArchives: https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotv...81d6b2ed3b67 I should have been suspicious of the sharper details.

... and I had used the NGC-eBay service before bidding, and received an opinion of "likely genuine."
So hopefully I can get a refund ... maybe from two places.

And if not... lesson learned.
Edited by tdziemia
09/04/2019 2:16 pm
Valued Member
Germany
141 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2019  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KaiserSoze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How does this ebay NGC test even work? Some guy from NGC takes a look at the pics in the listings?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that's exactly how it works.
Valued Member
Germany
141 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KaiserSoze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for clearing that up
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  09:32 am  Show Profile   Check beem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia, thanks for the info. I didn't know this service existed. I almost want to list my undergraded PCGS Ducaton on ebay and then get NGC's opinion on it. :D
Pillar of the Community
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worst possible outcome: Not Suitable for Certification

If I had gotten "Likely Not Authentic" I could have returned it.

That's more than one lesson learned
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05