Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$4000++ For A 1918 Canada Cent?! What Am I Missing Here.

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  12:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sure it's a BEAUTY but really? What would they pay for a tough date in similar condition?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4029 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With almost 13 million struck for that year, it seems unreasonable to me, too. Might have to check PCGS to see if this is the best they've ever certified, but even with none better, I'd certainly have a hard time justifying paying this kind of money for what is after all a very common issue.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1550 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS population 2, 1 better. There are 27 PCGS George V cent registry sets......a big number. Only 0.05 points separate rank 1 from 3, and I notice that #3 has this coin in 65 and just updated this set for a 1916 in MS66 from the Cook collection. I have not worked out the math, but this might change the #1 set in the category.
Edited by Smallcentguy
08/31/2019 1:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3099 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This proof yet again , in the Registry Set game , if ya wanna be a player , you gonna be a payer!
Valued Member
Canada
122 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dollar 1935 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like the 1945 5 cents 1945 PCGS Ms-67+ who sold for 3162$ + taxes in a Tcnc auction in 2018, there is somme crazy prices for common coins in top condition
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would never pay 10 times more for a coin just because some tag says MS66 vs MS65. But I see they sold another similar one awhile back for big bucks.
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love it!

Quote:
the Registry Set game , if ya wanna be a player , you gonna be a payer!
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add inconnu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plus exchange, hammer, taxes, and shipping - $6000 CDN to your door.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42703 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kinda scary.
Pillar of the Community
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was interested until it got above $3K. If it was the finest known (the 67), then maybe. $4500 US to upgrade from 65 red to 66 red isn't worth it to me.
Edited by bosox
08/31/2019 5:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1550 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The #1 and #2 sets are private so you can't see what is in them. But by my calculation this coin would make the #3 set #1. Perhaps the same for #2. #4 is further out but it might put a big dent in its deficit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2093 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's called "really big money...spending big money" to be the big huncho
Learn More...
Canada
8680 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2019  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You folks have no concept of what "big money" really is, unless you dive deep into Canadian paper money or want to build some mint state graded sets of classic US decimal coins...

A finest known Lincoln Wheat cent of any given year would go for an order of magnitude more...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2019  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But eventually you have to sell into the market you bought from. I wish the Canadian market would to US levels tomorrow.
But only because I already have most of the Canadian coins I want.
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2019  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You folks have no concept of what "big money" really is, unless you dive deep into Canadian paper money or want to build some mint state graded sets of classic US decimal coins...

Two different situations. I doubt there are many folks how would pay $4000+ for a MS67 1918 US cent. It is understandable when it is a rare coin in top grade, but hard to understand for something so common. Big bucks are chasing common coins with little tags that have MS67 on them.

What do you think a dealer would offer if a similar coin were brought to his shop? I doubt any would offer even $1000.
Canada
25 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2019  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sid Belzberg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example of some of the registry insanity that goes on with modern Lincoln centshttps://coinweek.com/auctions-news/...-at-auction/ br /
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05