Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Please With New Computer, Which One?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  1:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have 3 to choose from and I'm not sure what I'm looking at a lot of these # go over my head.

1/ HP Elite Deck 800 G1 used
Windows 10 Pro
Intel i5-4570s 2.90GHz
8 GB ram
240 Gb SSD
VGA, Display x2
Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 Wireless adapter
USB 3.0 x 4 USB 2.0 x4
size about 12"x15"

2/ Lenovo Thinkcenter M93 used
Windows 10 Pro
Intel i7-4765t
16 GB ram DDR3
256 GB SSD
DVD
Gigabit Ethernet
VGA display ports
USB 2.0 2 front - 4 back
size 7"x8"

3/ HP Pavilion new
8th gen. Intel i5+8400
8Gb DDR4 ram
1TB hard drive
AMD Radeon RX 550 graphics card w/2GB memory
Bluetooth 4.2; 3.1 type C
USB 2.0 - 5 USB 3.1 - 4
wireless keyboard and optical mouse
size tower

Again any help please.

Edited by mcshilling
09/17/2019 1:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29506 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of those #3
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add woodcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 1tb will be slower than molasses moving upheld in the arctic, do the best you can to get an ssd that will hold what you store
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinBuffalo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#3. The other 2 are too old, and even with an SSD, they'll more than likely be slow too especially if they're used. Plus if you've never had an SSD, you won't know what you're missing so it won't be so bad.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17479 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of those 3 #3 would be my choice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3376 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are they all the same price?

If you can add an SSD and maybe another 8gb of RAM to #3, it's the best. I've brought new life to two old computers, a desktop and a laptop, simply by replacing the hard drive with an SSD. Would not own or buy a pc without an SSD at this point.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are they all the same price?

1- $450
2- $599
3- $599

I was leaning to the #3

So what is SSD and what does it do?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3376 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An SSD is a solid state drive. It is a hard drive but is made up of (near) instant access memory chips so it is very fast to access programs, etc. versus a regular hard drive which has to spin the disk and move a mechanical head to read the disk. So an SSD is much much faster for booting up, running Windows and associated programs, etc. Probably add $100 or under to add a 500gb SSD and worth every penny.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3307 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you do with it?

Any of them will be fine for email, web surf and the occasional document. Even the occasional picture crop and resize.

Buy on price and guarantee...most computer problems surface in the first 30 days.

If you want to edit videos and play games, none of them.

-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you want to edit videos and play games, none of them.

No for email, internet, excel and pics of coins with Canon camera.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks KenKat I will ask.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it's a done deal got #3 BUT I did get them to change the 1TB drive to a 500 SSD for $130, anyone need a new 1TB drive.

Thanks to all who helped.
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1474 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man, those SSD prices are more than I would have thunk. I purchased a 1TB SS external USB drive for $80 about a year ago. Why are the internals so much more?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3307 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That should give you plenty of years of good solid service.

My main machine is from 2014. I dropped an SSD drive into it a couple of years back.

Last month I looked at "upgrading" to a new machine but realized it wouldn't really improve things...

I can get a PC with more cores, but for web surfing and Excel, it really only uses one core anyway. I can get a PC with a (slightly) faster processor, but (If I do what I've always done, buy a processor one notch below the latest and greatest) it's only going to shave a second off a recalc since I might get a CPU that bursts to 4.5GHz instead of the 3.9GHz single-core burst frequency I have today.

The new generation PCIe NVMe SSDs are much faster than the older SATA SSDs but that's only going to get me another second or two on a save.

So I happily chug along on a 5-year-old machine.

Enjoy!
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Man, those SSD prices are more than I would have thunk. I purchased a 1TB SS external USB drive for $80 about a year ago. Why are the internals so much more?

So that $80 US equals $108 Canadian or so.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05