Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Please With New Computer, Which One?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3372 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am running a backup now actually - every two weeks after we pay bills.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I continuously backup all data files using Norton Backup. The only way to do this is to have a connected drive.

I also have an external drive that I backup data files and a HDD drive image to every month.

I've found that this continuous + archival backup scheme works for me
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18542 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like that remote backup stuff. Think I'll get one. Right now I have two separate hard drives in my main computer and I keep most items I need or want to keep on the second drive. First drive is for all programs and stuff like downloads. According to the people that built this thing, the second drive is non obtainable to outside sources. Sort of like remote drive but able to use with the main drive. Still I think a separate remote drive as discussed here would also be a great advantage. Right now I've got possibly several thousand photos on the second drive. Since I do not use a computer for personal items, such as paying bills, not much to worry about being hacked since nothing of any value except photos about my family and my cars.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
77064 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A simpler approach for the 1TB drive would be to let Best Buy mount it in the PC and just buy a separate, ready to go external drive for backups. They are cheap. I use Paragon for backups but Macrium is also good.
I agree, that is a better idea.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4620 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you think it is better to leave the 1TB hard drive in and not replace with the SSD
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3372 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, I / we are saying just have them add the SSD to the existing computer, leaving the 1TB drive in the computer as a secondary drive rather than buying an exclosure and power supply to make it into an external drive. You can buy a ready to go external USB drive for backup pretty cheaply - under $50 USD.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4620 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well since my last post they got my new computer in so they are taking the old and putting it on the new.

New SSD going in. Could get it back tomorrow, all I want is for my Canon camera software to work with the new setup.
Learn More...
United States
77064 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3298 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a big fan of BackBlaze. It's a continuous backup service in the cloud, where you pay a fixed fee per machine for unlimited storage. If you have a decent Internet connection, it's another leg of the backup triangle.

* Periodic full system (image) backups - something you do once a quarter or so...
* File backups - (I use Acronis, but there are many other programs)... it does a full file backup and then on a schedule it backups changed files.
* Continuous cloud service
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4620 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live out side of the city so internet not great.
I just need to back all my coin info which is over 6th pics
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4620 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I'm on the new one right now, had to take it back today to get some things fixed but all looks good right now.

Thanks to all how help me with this, the 1TB drive will be going into an external box for backing up things.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4136 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've absolutely no advice, but find your computer question responses staggering.

Gee, whodaguessed?
Learn More...
United States
77064 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So I'm on the new one right now, had to take it back today to get some things fixed but all looks good right now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3372 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome news, glad everything is working well!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05