Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

At What Point Do You Consider A Collection Done?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If my wife sells my collection for what I told her I paid for it, some one will be very happy. If she finds out how much I actually paid for it she might kill me, so either way I'm dead ;) and not my worries ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to Coin Frog, I completed another folder :) Well at least another collection is done :)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2981 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If my wife sells my collection for what I told her I paid for it, some one will be very happy. If she finds out how much I actually paid for it she might kill me, so either way I'm dead ;) and not my worries ;)

Would love to see that on someone's headstone! SO funny.
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is done when every hole in the album has a coin in it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2981 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the last few posts in this thread for a different take on this question... http://goccf.com/t/348965

The collections is REALLY done when you've written the book!
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The collections is REALLY done when you've written the book!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add malgal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It's finished when I say it is finished.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1152 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are some collections that never can be "complete" (well, unless your last name is Gates or Buffett). Consider, for example, $20 St. Gaudens (the 1933), Liberty nickels (1913), and Trade dollars (1884 and 1885), etc.

I agree with the upthread comments. It's your collection. You get to decide when you are done. It isn't another person's collection. It's your collection. Regardless of when the collection is complete, it is finished when you decide it is finished.

Collecting is not a compulsory deed. It should be fun, done because you enjoy it and because you desire to collect the coins. Feeling a compulsion to add coins beyond that point means that you are acquiring the coins for someone else. Why do it? You still have the coins. If you change your mind some day, you can always come back to it and finish the hole-filling.

Beyond that, you may move on to a new collection that interests you more. Don't be shackled to a set. Enjoy the journey.

JMHO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I followed the advice on here and completed the IHC set. Got the last one :)

Learn More...
United States
14835 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done @hfjacinto! Care to give us close-ups of your '77 so that we can drool a little?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well I followed the advice on here and completed the IHC set. Got the last one :)
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
773 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When the holes in the particular album or folder are filled.

For my Ike set, for example, I have the Dansco album that is just BU strikes (P, D, S). I consider it complete even though I have no proofs (except for an example each of clad proof and silver proof in the extra holes). If I had opted to go with the album that includes proof issues, then I would consider it currently incomplete.

Which is why I appreciate that Dansco offers both options.

I am seriously considering doing a new Kennedy half set...I previously had one that was complete 1964-2017 P&D mints but dumped them back into circulation last year except for the silver ones, most of which have now too been parted out. I have the 1964-1970 silver circulation strikes assembled (some will need upgrading when possible, especially the 1964D) as well as a few recent NIFCs to start with. I am looking at including the clad proofs at this time but not the silver ones; while I think the silver proofs are beautiful coins, it's beyond my collecting budget presently. I will be, like last time, probably doing this in 2x2s in a binder. Now even after all years are filled, this would still be considered "incomplete" to most by-the-book (or, more appropriately, by-the-album) collectors. But it will work for me.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1914; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (United Kingdom)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence, here you go, its only a good, but the price was super good. And it matches my album :)

Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2019  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a thought, instead of building up a set from the common dates, how about starting a set off with the key dates and then building backwards, that way the biggest hurdle is jumped first. And if you start out with the key date, you do have something that someone else will want vs a lot of something else that most already have. Just a different way of plotting out the journey, of course you then have to decide is it about the journey or the destination.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05