Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 P Block Island: Oc Partial Collar W/Tilted Die?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  10:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NCSue to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I really tried to research(just learning). Please tell me if I am wrong on any level(and the reasoning). Observations: 1) Both sides are showing OC (therefore not a MAD) 2) Obverse is Anvil (full reeding toward that side...therefore a reverse die strike...I know that is no biggie). 3)PSD/circular scratch on Obverse(only saying this because it might look like a weak strike, but don't THINK so). 4)Affected Reeding/Rim/Finning(?) issue runs from approx. 10:00(below beak)to the last U in PLURIBUS(Reverse side), and is the same area as the Rim/Finning area on the Obverse....Reeding starts diminishing gradually, void gets larger,then gradually disappears. 5) Cud/PSD/Finning issue(?)Reverse(Hammer) side, w/in affected area 6) Machine doubling(?) of letters seem to be only in unaffected(reeding) area on Reverse. I DO see the die chip on the bird(Have lots of those..so no issue). I have included a picture of a comparison with 2 other coins, to show that the reeding appears to be consistant. The other reeding pictures are to show that it is not all the way around, but gradual. Any thoughts/schooling...particularly tilted die vs. tilted collar?(I am thinking tilted die because of the finning/MD). Or, am I really confused now? Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
949 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about the spot on the rim. Either damaged or small cud. The ring on the obverse is from a coin wrapper and the bigger that normal letters are a form of die deterioration. Keep looking, from my experience nice quarter errors are hard to come by!
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NCSue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is my first attempt at identifying anything beyond Die Chips, Grease, Off Center and Machine Doubling :) .... I am still in the phase of holding something up in class, saying "Is this one?" I know it's not much Off Center. Trying to get some clarification before I really get confused this early on in my learning. So does anything about the coin resemble Off Center, Partial Collar with a Tilted Die? Anyone? Thanks(just don't laugh).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
659 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not off-center, though it does look to be/have a partial collar.

That wasn't very clear, but it's all I've got for you at the moment.
Edited by Gincoin43
09/29/2019 07:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4421 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great example of a worn die in VLDS.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40277 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look like a partial collar and the reverse letters have the classic ATB doubling on the reverse devices.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05