Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Project - Marriage Of An Encased Cent Ring And An Indian Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8270 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  3:28 pm Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought these separately but thought I'd give it a try.
Cost was low and of course, it won't be original but I think I can use a ratchet socket and a flat base on a press and make it work.
There's no intention to be deceptive, it will just remain in my exposition medals collection.

When they get together, I'll update. Any tips are welcome. There is plenty of room in the inner hole, almost too much, so it will be tricky.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Expositions and Fairs were the internet of the day for showing everything new and exciting.

There are LOTS of collectors in that genre that love anything from those events.

I'd love to see your finished work.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good Luck with your Good Luck Souvenir!
Coins were meant to be spent.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13961 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd love to see your finished work.

Me too!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This should prove interesting. Looking forward to pictures of your result and, more importantly, your steps in accomplishing the task.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8270 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2019  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looking forward to pictures of your result and, more importantly, your steps in accomplishing the task.

I'll do just that.
Going to the hospital for my second new knee. When I can get to the press, I'll post pictures Of the process. It'll probably be a couple weeks.
My favorite album!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2864 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not use some epoxy around the rim? Just a bit so you can't see the glue on the outside?
Pillar of the Community
United States
897 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with your new knee TNG. I am praying for your speedy recovery.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8270 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  10:24 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why not use some epoxy around the rim? Just a bit so you can't see the glue on the outside?

Thanks for the tip.
I was hoping to do that but there is significant daylight in the fit. I don't have the 1907 cent I picture yet but tried with another to see what room is in the hole and it is enough that I have to press it closed.

Another possibility is to grind down a really beat up aluminum token or piece of scrap and fill the gap with some sort of mix.
I'll do a good job.

Quote:
Good luck with your new knee TNG. I am praying for your speedy recovery.

That is kind of you, thanks a lot.
My favorite album!
Edited by TNG
10/13/2019 10:28 am
Learn More...
United States
79391 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8270 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Indian arrived and pushed in and stays but can easily push back out.
I am glad because I will attempt to squash that raised ring around the hole with a same size ratchet socket rigged up to a press.

If the cent were more loose, I would think the ring might need too much of a pressing to reduce in diameter and result in cracking the ring during the press.
The tiny amount needed to become snug is probably possible.
The only hold up is setting up the press. I have way too much in the way at the moment.
I think I picked a good Indian to match the outer ring in equal surface wear, appearance and circulation.
I will show my press and encased cent set up when I give this a try.

My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
79391 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05