Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Assistance With An 1894 Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  11:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mrnobody to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey there,

Let me preface this post by saying upfront how much I appreciate any and all of you guys assistance. while I'm not an experienced coin collector or enthusiast, I have a great deal of respect for the knowledge and passion that's present within this community.

Let me also say that until the past few days of reading and researching, I had no earthly idea the type of rarities and value that exist within the realm of coins/older currency - it is actually quite interesting. I see that over the years there have been numerous posts regarding the 1894 "S" dimes and that all of them have ended with the same consensus being that the odds of possessing a legitimate specimen are astronomical, and all the coins presented have been determined as altered or counterfeit. Therefore I approach this knowing full well the improbable odds, but with an air of hope all the same.

I have read through just about everything I can find regarding these coins, including a 120-some-odd page book by a gentleman named Kevin that provides a wealth of information and pictures of the almost perfect condition known existing coins. I've also reviewed the old posts from these very forums that have listed some telltale signs and distinguishing details between a real versus a counterfeit. Even still, I don't have the tools, equipment, or expertise to actually make that determination. What I do have is a really neat looking coin that I took to a "coin dealer" where he admitted he didn't have the experience to make such a call - but he was unable to say it was a fake and he did say that it looked good and that he was excited for me. This coin is also the correct size and weight of the known authentic pieces. This particular coin has been worn down a fair amount but is still in good shape with more details still visible than are missing. However, it becomes all the more difficult trying to analyze and compare a dirty/more worn coin to the well cared for examples that are out there - especially for the inexperienced.

So, there we have it...I have a phone capable of 10X zoom, and while I already have a few pictures available, none of them are able to show the details AND the real coloration of the coin at the same time unfortunately. If there is anybody out there willing to take the time to look at this for me, please let me know what types of pictures you are interested in seeing and how I should take them and I will happily do so in order to present this to you the best way possible with my limited resources. I know there is no way to truly verify something like this over the internet but it is my hopes that I'm able to present this in a way that people with much more knowledge than me can check it out and let me know if there's something obviously wrong, or that despite the odds it demands further, in-depth analysis. I am simply not wanting to get ahead of myself or travel to have it examined if it's clearly not worth the effort.

So, please let me know if there's anyone out there willing or wanting to take a look at this for me and if so what I need to do. No matter what, I appreciate you taking the time to read this and I hope all is well with you wherever you might be. Thanks in advance anyone/everyone and sorry for the massive post - just putting it all out there.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13492 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mr.nb, first welcome to CCF. Second, I think that you will see that everyone here regards folks who's first post mentions having found a super rare coin with an abundance of caution. You should expect to be treated with respect and courtesy though. With that, we will expect that you listen to what we say, even if in the end you have come to a different conclusion than we have. Keep in mind that we are all just volunteering our time (and opinions). If you want what passes for certainty in this hobby, then just send you coin to a TPG and let us know what they say.

Please start by posting in-focus, well-lit, right-side facing up overall pictures of the front and back. You should also include a close-up of the mintmark plus the weight and diameter. I look forward to seeing what you have!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
524 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, allow me to say welcome and what a well written post.

Let's look at a brief description from 1894. The San Francisco Mint superintendent supposedly only struck 24 of these dimes. Most were given to prominent bankers while three were given to his daughter.

Of the 24, only seven to nine are known to exist. All but two are uncirculated. Of the remaining 15, there wear-abouts unknown, it is not out of the realm of possibility of ever finding one. Highly unlikely, but not out of the question. In fact, one of those two circulated pieces was found in a department store junk box in 1957. The question would be, have you discovered one? Only a professional authenticator could determine as much.

Again, extremely unlikely but I'm hoping it so. The hobby could use another story of lost treasure being found.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrnobody to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrnobody to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys thanks for reading my lengthy post and like I said, I know it's next to impossible but all the same it would be foolish not to look into it some so that's why I've come here since otherwise I'd never know. The pictures I've provided had to be dumbed down some due to the file size and I zoomed in the best I could with this camera and a flashlight to give it as best lighting as possible...as far as the weight and size is concerned I don't have the tools to show those specs outside of a picture on a digital scale reading 2.5. I suppose this will do for now and probably get the job done. I sincerely appreciate the help
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrnobody to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42113 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone here will surely be able to analyze this. New pics shown tight-side up would help.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13492 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mr. nb, I think that we probably see enough with what you've already posted, although right-side up pics are always appreciated. With the caveat that I've never held one of these in my hand to inspect it, the mintmark on your piece is markedly different from what is posted on the PCGS website.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Edited by Spence
10/13/2019 4:01 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrnobody to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please forgive me for asking but what is tight side up? The orientation of the photos all got warped with the picture tool on this site...I'm not sure if that's what you mean?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1801 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Mr. Frog meant "right" side up.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8267 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cast fake.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3082 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2019  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the Mint Mark , the grainy appearance lack of reverse dentil details . Did you use a magnet ?
Looks like a Chinese Big Tree Money Company FAKE!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1525 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No need to look at the mint mark. This coin is Reverse 3, introduced in 1901. The reverse did not exist in 1894. Send me a message, and I will send you my article on the three reverse types. It is also clearly Obverse 2, which also did not exist prior to 1901.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7562 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  02:29 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a one look fake, pretty bad really. Sorry about that but welcome.
I am curious, how did you acquire it ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Edited by 52Raymo
10/14/2019 02:33 am
Learn More...
United States
78256 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18639 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to this forum.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05