Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Happens When You Pay With Half Dollars?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  07:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
qKmWrVG5W_s

What are some of your experiences?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4476 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting project!
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At our favorite cafe (full real breakfast $4) I always pay the bill and the tip with odd coinage, occasional silver, old type of lower (but not junk) denominations. Our friend who is a waitress there always takes all of that home to her 12 year old daughter who is a beginning coin collector.

Smiles all around.
Pillar of the Community
United States
608 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is always fun to pay with coins or notes that might be a little less than common.
Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really enjoyed watching this! Thank you for posting.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When the Susan B. Anthony came out in 1979 I got fifty dollars of my pay in coins. I then hit the drive through at different fast food places. Most of the cashiers just thought I was trying to pay with a quarter, but the best reaction was at McDonald's. The very kind lady at the window said in a loud voice, "Sorry, but we don't take foreign money." I think she was spoke loudly because she thought I didn't speak English. I told her that I was paying with the new U.S."silver" dollar and then she looked at them again, grabbed her purse, substituted a few of her paper dollars for the till and kept the SBAs for herself.

And yes, before you ask, they were all near date SBAs from a federal mint roll. I hope she put them up and kept them, but I doubt that she did. I have two rolls left from '79, but the rolls I have are far date.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pulled a few of the SBA's from circulation. They still aren't any nicer than they were almost 40 years ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1737 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some years ago...when the Presidential - gold (colored) coins were being minted...

i went to a favorite restaurant on saint patrick's day .

our bill was around $65. we paid entirely in "gold one dollar coins - and the tip of course.

the servers - photographed the pile of coins...

it seemed like a fun idea - at the time...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5701 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always try to get a few half dollars when I visit the States.

My experience has been as follows:

Boston 'T' (subway) ticket booth - accepted without comment
Cab driver in Las Vegas - refused them
Coin shop in Orlando - accepted without comment
Bar car on tourist railroad in Colorado - barmaid very excited to get them
Pharmacy in Miami - Cashier had to check with senior colleague before accepting them
Convenience store in Houston, TX - accepted without comment
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18667 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some time back I get a pile of those from the bank for spending for fun. Actually every place I used one the people I gave them to asked if I had more. At a flea market a seller followed me for a while to see if I had more of them. One person in a store offered to buy as many as I had and for more than face. I never had anyone refuse them.
With those lousy baby sized dollars I almost got arrested trying to spend those.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
78522 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amy and I load up on gold before our trips to Disney World. Here's our "Hoard" from a few years ago. No one at Disney even bats an eye.

Learn More...
United States
78522 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Amy and I load up on gold before our trips to Disney World. Here's our "Hoard" from a few years ago. No one at Disney even bats an eye.
Excellent!

Can I assume a lot of these end up in Epcot during the Food & Wine expo?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4014 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have often used Ikes, Kennedy's, & $2 notes for restaurant tips. On those occasions when I can get them at face, circulated silver certificates also enter the mix.

With the halves & $2 bills (easy to get at the bank) I create a lot of goodwill at yard sales & flea markets. In fact, it's turned out to be a good technique to, when something's priced at like, $3, show a 2 for it, which is almost always accepted. Likewise holding out a Kennedy for an item for which a dollar is being asked. And there are various combinations of these scenarios that also work.

Now trying to spend any of the less than the regularly seen coins or bills at something like a convenience store is more likely to create an open suspicion that you're an alien from another planet than anything else.

I absolutely stay away from using SBA's. Nobody wants to take them, and they apparently think you're messing with them in offering them as payment.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck said...

Quote:
Can I assume a lot of these end up in Epcot during the Food & Wine expo?

BINGO! I think we hit the Food & Wine Festival about 7 years in a row! Not as much wine as food. I've eaten "Around The World" at Epcot a number of times. I don't remember "where" we were in the World, but the little chocolate cakes were a reason to keep going back and back and back. Thank goodness for the "Park Hopper" tickets.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10114 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2019  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't done this in a while but I used to keep a stack of Pre$ and $ac dollars in my truck and use them to buy morning coffee at McD's on the way into work. I *may* have gotten a funny look once.

I can honestly say I've never deliberately paid for anything with half dollars, but I have received them in change. Any half dollars I get, I keep.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05