Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Coinage In United States Pocket Change

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
449 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  5:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All -

I'm from the US and recently upgraded my Canadian coin collection. In doing so, I remembered all the good times I had over the years picking Canadian coinage out of my pocket change here in the US. It started when I was a kid and those QEII pennies really stuck out! I kept every one of them! Lots of variety too. My best pocket find was a 1936 KGV nickel.

I also used to work in a retail cash office and had good access to foreign coins that people passed here in the US. Over time I filled a couple Whitman albums with Canadian pennies and nickels!! I pulled a few silver Canadian dimes and quarters as well, but not enough to fill an album :(

I'm not finding much lately, which surprises me. I thought some enterprising Canadians might start off-loading their outmoded Canadian pennies in the US currency stream. But I haven't seen it. Has anyone else in the US seen an uptick in Canadian coinage or any foreign coinage lately?

(PS: I recently found a handful of Barbadian pennies in my change.)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2807 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of the obsolete 1 cent coins are still floating around Canada, but the owners are more likely to have a bucket rather than a few to bring to the US on vacations. I think that they would not pass in most stores there, but to get rid of them you would need to stick them in a roll that is going into the bank.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if you are lucky enough to be in Florida, I would imagine that the snowbirds will be bringing LOTS of Canadian change down, especially pennies, since they are not used up here and are in the States.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Living just across the border in Minnesota, there are tons of Canadian coinage.

For a while the banks here refused their deposit, but I think they just got tired of trying to stem the flow.

Same size denominations readily accepted in all cash transactions.

We can't let them there Canucks be nicer than us Minnesotans.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2300 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We get Canadian coins in our change and coin rolls often around here. This is probably due to us living about 75 miles from Canadian border. I have just about completed a book of nickels (Missing 1925, 2018, and 2019) and have a complete book of Small Cents as well. Next time I go to a coin shop I plan on picking up a book to put all our quarters in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
835 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is how I started. Filling Whitman folders with Canadian one cents I got from change growing up in Maine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
618 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live in a town that is the "Roller Coaster Capital of the World", on the south shore of Lake Erie. Not far from Canada. I have always found Canadian coins in circulation. The giant amusement park used to accept Canadian at par.

40 years ago I was a bartender at a bar near the freighter docks. Those Canucks would come in off the boats and spend money like crazy. We charged 10% exchange fee. They made of our US paper money, because it was all one color.

Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2019  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are all great stories - let's keep the memories flowing!

PS: I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but like I said, I just upgraded my Canadians from circulation finds to AU / BU and it reminded me of the old days dipping through my American pocket change looking for QEIIs and the Georges!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05