Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are The Most Popular Collections?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  5:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I've been wondering what are the most popular collections?

I started on LWC, then went to LMC and LSC and then completed the whole Small Cents. I always assumed without any type of actual facts that Lincoln Cents would be most popular, but after that my guess is that its the rest of small cents.

So IMO, the order of Popularity goes:

Lincoln Wheats
Lincoln Memorial
Indian Head cents
Flying Eagle cents
50 State Quarters
Buffalo nickels
Mercury dimes
Type Set
Roosevelt dimes
Ike dollars (for you Jbuck ;) )

and then I just don't know. I guess it could be Morgans, but that one is costly, or maybe the moderns. So what are your top 10 most popular collections.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both for good sales and personal collecting:
1- ASE - lots of registered collectors at both NGC and PCGS and my best seller at all shows.
2- Classic Commemorative.
3- Modern Commemorative.
4- Type Set
5- Pre-1964 Mint sets (oldest set 1845).
6- Pre-64 Proof sets (oldest set 1900).
7- Gold Type Set 1834-1932
8- Seated type of all denominations.
9- Bust and Capped Bust Half Dollars (not lately).
10- Odd denominations 2 & 3 cent sets. Nearly complete.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7546 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My personal favorites:

- US type (augmented 7070)
- US commemoratives (classic and modern)
- World crowns
- World gold
- OFEY (One for each year, world coins -- 2019 to the 1400s)
- OFEC (One from each country/issuer, based on Numista catalog)
- OFEC (One from each century (2019AD to 600BC)
- OFEG (One for each gimmick -- colored, unusual material, etc.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What are OFEY, OFEC, OFEG?
Valued Member
Canada
206 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OttawaVoyageur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nowdays? Pokemon cards

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2974 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

@pepactonius explained that. OFEY = One From Each Year, etc.

I would add world birthyear set, which is an OFEC for a specific date.

I think you get different answers to the question depending on whether you are a U.S. collector or a world collector.

I worked on monarch sets for some foreign countries with significance to me (maybe you could call it OFER, One From Each Reign). I would be curious if anyone else has one or more of those (I guess ancient Rome collectors do?).
But they morphed into monarch/denomination sets, then monarch/denomination/mint sets ...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7546 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

OFEY = One From Each Year
OFEG = One For Each Gimmick
OFEC = One From Each Country, or One From Each Century
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19070 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never gave it much thought. This really depends on the individual. Actually you did not mention coins so this means you opened up this subject to so many other topics. People collect so many other things aside from coins. Rocks, cars, stamps, arrow heads, Knives, swords, guns, string, and on and on and on.
For coins I would think Silver Dollars leads the pack. At coin shows every where those are the most popular items I see.
For me, it's just all US coins. Mercury dimes leads but so many others.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5809 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be interesting to see a survey on the subject. I would suspect that there is a significant difference between people who "have" coins (e.g. a jar full of wheat cents and old silver coins) and those who "collect" series with the aim of completing the collection.

I would suspect that of the people who "have" coins, wheat cents and maybe silver dimes/quarters would take the lead by far.

People who have collections that aren't "complete"? Again probably wheats, Mercs, Buffalo nickels and maybe Morgan/Peace dollars, and Franklin/Walker halves.

Complete collections? Here's where it might get interesting. I suspect that not many people have a 1909-S VDB, and likewise 1916 is a prohibitive rarity for Merc and SLQ series. It takes next to no effort (and the cost of a soft drink) to complete the whole Memorial cent series from circulation - I was done less than six months after I started. But how many people actually "collect" the series? I would imagine not many do. Ditto with Jefferson nickels - a whole set will set you back about $40-200 depending on your tolerance for wear, but the series just isn't popular. I wonder what percentage of people who collect 46-64 Roosevelt dimes and Franklin halves have a complete set?
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Finn235, great post and I agree with you, it took me almost 15 years to complete the Whitman folder with 1941 to 1973 Lincoln cents, but only took 4 months to complete the LWC series as at that point I was actually (in my mind a collector).

I have the following series completed:

Flying Eagle (3 coins, so kind of easy)
IHC (some dates were $$$ hard)
LWC (1909 S VDB, 1914 D and a few early S were hard to find with complete wheat stalks)
LMC (easy)
LSC (easy)
20th Century Type Set (mostly easy, the Barber 50 cent in XF+ is expensive)
Peace dollars (only missing 4, will complete in 4 weeks)
MHD (probably will be complete in 2020)
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2970 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the OP's question is hopelessly muddled between "what are the top 10 collected series in general" and "what are the top 10 collected series for you".

As such, some answers apply to the former, and some to the latter; I'll try to answer both - but first, the former.

(Note: I didn't realize that the OP technically doesn't specify coins either until I have almost finished this post; as such, I didn't include anything on non-coin collecting. Not that I know much about it anyway.)

Limiting this to coin collectors in the USA, as the OP list seemed to imply, and excluding very short series (6 coins or less), we get (at my best guess) the following result:

1. 50 State Quarters
2. ATB Quarters
there's a very big gap in there, as we go from "someone who likes pretty coins" to "actually a collector"; some of the excluded short series would have been in this gap
3. wheat cents
4. Buffalo nickels
5. Indian Head cents
6. Mercury dimes
7. memorial cents
8. Jefferson nickels
9. Roosevelt dimes
10. V nickels

Franklin halves, Walker halves, Morgan dollars, shield cents, or Native American dollars (...there are more than 6 of those, right?) might actually be somewhere in the top 10 (especially the Morgans, which are commonly collected but pricey); a rudimentary version of OFEC/One From Each Country and/or of a type set might be up there as well - hard to say.
I don't think Peace dollars, Barber dimes, Ike dollars, Presidential dollars, or Washington quarters make it into the top 10, though they might be close (especially the Ikes).

Expanding things to worldwide coin collectors (but leaving the 6-coin exclusion limit in), I estimate the following result (modulo my ignorance of the state of collecting in China, Brazil, and, to a lesser extent, India):

1. State Quarters (still)
2. euro coins by country/type
3. probably still ATB Quarters
4. 2 euro commemoratives
5. OFEC/One From Each Country (in ways not covered by 2)
6. probably Indian commemoratives? the sheer population of India should get them up there

Past that I'm not particularly confident.
China and Indonesia do not issue large series of circulating commemoratives (that I know of), so I'm not sure what people from there collect, if anything.
India does, but it might go too far in the other direction (too many types to bother collecting). I don't recall offhand whether Brazil does.
Nigerians and Bangladeshis (and probably also Indonesians) are, for the most part, too poor to collect coins (so are Indians, but there are very many of them, so it might balance out).

Modulo China, I suspect that the next series in line is something European, but I'm not sure what exactly.

Finally, here's my (approximate) personal list - though some of those are on hiatus as I've long ago ran out of easily-affordable gaps...

1. Russian 1 kopek type set [hiatus]
2. One From Each Country
3. One From Each Century [complete/hiatus]
4. US type set (7070 album)
5. One From Each Year
6. Romanian type set (circulating, non-gold)
7. lowball 1860-1894 UK pennies
8. general Russian type set (not limited to 1 kopek coins)
9. Mongolian type set (non-commemorative)
10. um... probably Israeli type set?

As far as I'm concerned, as of this Tuesday (i.e. now that I have a definite 13th century AD coin), I have officially completed the One From Each Century series (5th century BC to 21st century AD), pending attribution of my 8th century AD dirham (which I should probably post some day).
However, I'm still, in principle, looking for 6th century BC coins - I just expect them to be mostly beyond my budget. (7th century BC coins exist as well, but cost hundreds of dollars or more.)

One From Each Country was much more active 2-3 years ago, but screeched to a relative halt when the Numista system was reorganized and the 300 country club was no longer achievable. (I got to 293 - so close and yet so far.)
Now that it might soon be at least theoretically possible to have over 300 countries on Numista again, I guess I might reactivate the quest.

I'm not actually sure of the numbers 9 and 10, which are fairly minor as my collecting goes; it's possible that there's something I'm missing but didn't think of offhand.
The ordering among 6-8 might be different as well, though I'm more confident of them being 6-8 in some order (again, assuming I didn't miss anything major).
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's obviously no way to know for sure but sorry Jbuck Ike's definitely are not. They would be way more expensive if they were. Flying Eagle cents probably aren't in the top 20, prices would be much higher.

For pure popularity it's going to be mostly cheaper sets at the top like State Quarters and ATB Quarters, Lincoln's are hugely popular too. Then ASEs are hugely popular. Type sets are quickly moving up the list. Morgan's are very popular at least for date sets. Mercury dimes people love, Buffalo nickels. Roosevelt dimes are pretty unpopular overall, but after like the top 8 or so you can make a strong argument for many series for the last two
Learn More...
United States
82429 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There's obviously no way to know for sure but sorry Jbuck Ike's definitely are not.
I am pretty sure he just put that there to make me happy.

I am also pretty sure that the number of additional popular series above the Ike is greater than the number of those currently listed.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I am also pretty sure that the number of additional popular series above the Ike is greater than the number of those currently listed.

For sure, but on the bright side that works out better for you as you can buy more for less money. Just imagine the prices of gem Ikes if they were the most popular series
Pillar of the Community
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I would never do that.. I love .... (puked a little) Ike's they are the best thing since sliced bread.. (mind you sliced bread sucks and I really like a fresh superlongo from Whole Foods).

See Jbuck I secretly love... (dang puked again) Ike's
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05