Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: A New (Old) Book For My Library

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4312 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2019  1:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently came across a book about US commemorative coins of which I was previously unaware. I collect books about my favorite series and, over the years, have come to know about all of the major titles -- and even many of the minor ones -- published since 1922. So, coming across a new title is always a bit exciting!

The book in question is Collecting United States Commemorative Coins by Nicholas J. Bruyer; the title page states it was published by Ahlcrona Graphics, Inc. of Minneapolis, MN but I strongly suspect the mail order coin dealer Preferred Customer Service (also of Minneapolis, MN) was behind the small volume; their contact information is on the back cover. Pure conjecture on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that PCS used the volume as a "bonus" gift for customers who purchased US commemorative coins from them, believing it a way to keep new customers engaged in the series and keep them purchasing coins from PCS.

The book itself is clearly meant to be an introduction to the series vs. a definitive reference, but I believe it serves its purpose effectively. It is well-written and presents brief but accurate historical information about each of the commemorative coins issued by the US Mint from 1892 to 1990 (yes, it includes the modern issues that had been released by the time the book was published). It also includes information on the Norse-American medals of 1925 and the Young Astronauts Program medals of 1988 (the author had a personal connection to the latter).

The book has 83 numbered pages and is 5.5" x 8.5". The included B&W pictures of the coins are clear and are generally presented in "actual size;" the $1.00 gold coins are enlarged.

At the back of the book is a checklist a collector could use to track his or her collection. All of the releases are included and space is available to record the date of purchase, purchase price and grade.

It's a nice little book about the US commemorative series that provides a fine introduction to each coin. The book can't match the current A Guide Book of United States Commemorative Coins that is published by Whitman, but when it was published in 1991 the " Red Book" of US commemorative coins didn't exist! And so, in context, it was a worthwhile purchase for those who wanted to learn more history than what was presented in the general " Red Book" of the time. (Context is always key!)

Pillar of the Community
United States
1548 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another good read, my friend. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this publication. I also appreciate your specific detail from the book regarding the greatest, most awesome of the classic commems!
Learn More...
United States
84320 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6795 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2019  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find commems - I'm waiting patiently for your book to be published.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10308 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2019  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know well the feeling of discovering something *gasp* previously unknown to you, something that should have surfaced on your radar long before. It leaves you a little annoyed that you didn't already know about it and a lot excited that there may be more waiting.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the OP ; a sales gimmick. The Minnesota address (no offense to the good citizens there) is a clue ; remember 30 years ago (if you're old enough)about the warning of "Minnesota Job" and the archaic method of sight unseen mail order coins. That "Preferred Customer Service" dealer tag is particularly scary.
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a great reference book. Thanks for sharing
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05