Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Liberty Or Bison Nickels?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 93 / Views: 5,163Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
United States
2022 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  3:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I'm only down to the Mercury 16-D, I'm getting an inkling to start another set. I'm down to the 50 cent Walking Liberty or the 5 cent Bison nickels.

Which one would you recommend and why?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48984 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're both great candidates - I lean slightly toward the Buffs.
Learn More...
United States
87916 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8091 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would do the Walkers. They look great no matter what grade you get them in, and they are really stunning when you get them in MS.

Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Learn More...
United States
87916 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You make a good argument with that photo.

I admit bias. I have a buffalo set, while the only Walker I have is in my 7070.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3460 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both. Yes.....both.

Set the grade YOU want to collect each set in. Determine if you will be adding any or all of the major error coins. Study the price guide to determine what your pocketbook will allow as well.
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep! Cost is a big factor... at least it would be for me. And availability , also.

Other than that, just choose your own preference. You cannot go wrong with either choice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Walking Liberty half dollar is the most beautiful coin design the U.S. has produced for circulation.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48984 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Buffalo nickel is one of the few US coin designs with an equally impressive obverse and reverse.

Okay, except maybe for the SBA dollar.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13642 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cost wise I would go with the WLH over the Buffaloes . But then again it all depends on what grades you want to put together .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4738 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CoinCollector2012
That is a VERY impressive WLH.
Full set of dress lines.
Thumb easily separate on the hand.
Not a particular easy coin for that year.

Better than my PDS birth year set and they are all MS-65's.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
11/04/2019 7:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2022 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all, I think the answer may be both!!

Kind of leaning toward the Walkers with the picture Coin Collector posted, but I have seen nice Bison nickels also :)

Heck the walkers are also pretty...

Pillar of the Community
United States
913 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I vote for both!
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13642 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but I have seen nice Bison nickels also :)

Even though it's truly a Bison on the reverse it is mainly called Buffalo nickels , Some old timers called it Indian head Nickels but never Bison . You my friend can call them anything you want . What ever floats your boat .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2022 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Calling it a Buffalo nickel when the animal is not a buffalo is wrong, I'm calling it what the animal actually is. It's a bison, hence I'll call it a bison nickel :)

It's not like I'm calling Lincoln cents a "penny"
Edited by hfjacinto
11/04/2019 9:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2942 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2019  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I vote Walking Liberty... but, have you considered Standing Liberty quarters? With whatever you chose, you cannot go wrong
ša va bien aller
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 93 / Views: 5,163Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05