Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Complete 105 BU State Quarter Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
83 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  10:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I don't really collect the State Quarters and understand they are not valuable other than enjoying the history of the set. Just saw an ad from Littleton Coin offering the complete BU set of 105 State Quarters for $29.99 incl. shipping. Am I missing something or is the legal tender value of the set $26. Wondering 1. How do they do this and 2. Can I go too wrong with the purchase? Thoughts?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13897 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BGLI, I would say that Littleton Coin has a speckled reputation here on CCF (deservedly so). You are correct that you will be exchanging $30 of your money for $26.25 worth of their quarters (likely none are worth more than face value). Perhaps the only advantage that this offers over building your own set from bank-wrapped rolls is that you are paying just a few bucks for someone else to have assembled it.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add woodcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And my thoughts they will all be ms60
Pillar of the Community
United States
3387 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are selling these at this price with the intent to acquire new customers. They break even or lose a couple of bucks but hope to send you email or direct mail with other coin offers that you will purchase. The quarters are likely decent; not high grade but not junk either.
Edited by KenKat
11/09/2019 11:47 am
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the purchase would also enroll you in their approval service. They will send you coins that you can either purchase or send back to them, these coins will definitely be overpriced.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jstav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am looking for this set you mention, but can't find it on the web.
Valued Member
Canada
408 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On their website they are offering the 112 coin P&D set with album for $270. Now that is a rip-off price. $29.99 incl. shipping in MS condition is very reasonable I would say.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When on the Littleton site click on advertised offer and the code is 5PG401 and that gets the $29.99 offer. I figure for a few dollars over face value it seems worthwhile
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add plopomatic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned above, this offer does enroll you in their Coins-on-Approval Service.

*** Link removed by the Staff ***
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1371 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of things about littleton.

I...ah..know...a dealer who supplies Littelton with coins. I can tell you that they are darn picky on the coins that they take in, and will reject an entire 5000 coin shipment if they find more than a couple of "bad" coins.

However, just like us little guys they buy collections in bulk. After taking out the "good stuff", you have things left over like State Quarter collections and proof sets. In one way of looking at this, these coins are "free", since you have already made ( or will make) your money on the other coins in the collection.

So..selling them at a bit over face is a no brainer. It means they can make a profit over them from simply dumping them into their bank.

On a side note, here in central Ohio, we seem to have had a "collection dump", as there are scads of clad MS quarters showing up in change. I even bought a few rolls of State Quarters from a bank, and they were all OBW rolls.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1679 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Littleton is one of the highest buyers and are picky but the wholesale cost of this set is well over the asking price. They very much make the wholesale price to attract the coins they want. The sets will look pretty good really. They are offering these to attract new customers and will send you more coins on approval.

This company sells a great number of coins are many are "value added" such as being assembled into sets. Grading tends to be conservative across the board.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7885 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I...ah..know...a dealer who supplies Littelton with coins. I can tell you that they are darn picky on the coins that they take in, and will reject an entire 5000 coin shipment if they find more than a couple of "bad" coins.

I will second this. They are VERY tough on originality when they buy stuff.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05