Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1992 Type 2 Nickel: Re-engraved Beaver

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Rocky:
The two original pictures are not lined up right to begin with. There is a slight rotation on one. I suspect this is causing the lettering not to line up.
Test:
Scroll the first pic Dredge posted up to the top of your browser window until the letters in Canada start to touch it.
Not eht C in Canada touches first, and when the C touches, there is a gap over the A. This shows the 1st pic is rotated slightly clockwise.

Now do the same with his second pic. you will note the A in CANADA contacts the top of the browser window first and there is a gap over the letter C. The second picture is rotated slightly counterclockwise.

Making an overlay with these two pictures will cause lettering (and the tail etc.) not to align perfectly.

There also is a slight tilt to the second picture that is barely perceptible like the camera got bumped or moved when pressure was put onto the camera/phone(?) to take the picture. That tilt will also make distortions in the overlay.

Second - parallel scratches (?)
I took the pics from the link mentioned above and noted the all lines of the extra hair are not only all parallel with each other, but one outside the beaver extends up and beyond the beaver's backside. It looks as if something damaged the die and made parallel lines that happen to be positioned in a convenient place to make the Beaver;s hair look different. The flow of the parallel lines interrupt the natural curvature of the hairs in the beaver's tail while extending down and out.

While this does look like a damaged die to me, other coins are collected in a series as varieties made under similar circumstances. I don't know the "rules" for proclaiming something an actual variety, but if there are enough of these out there to be found, they could become popular as a "variety." Its not PMD.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
Canada
8681 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  12:16 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Despite popular belief, production dies are not re-engraved in the modern era. The chrome plating applied on the dies through to the 1990s would not allow it. And yes, I have seen lots of working dies in the Bank of Canada currency collection. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, the last time that dies were ever re-engraved by hand were the waterlines on the 1955 silver dollar. I am sure Jim Haxby can verify this, if he sees this thread.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4378 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you wanted near perfect coins,compare the NCLT minus the silver cost component of production and that would give you an good idea of costs of producing an circulating near perfect coin,just can't happen. If you keep collecting minor variations, your collection would be near impossible to resell latter, you see all the time at auctions where dealer stock of pages of minor stuff gets no bid or token bids
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you keep collecting minor variations, your collection would be near impossible to resell latter, you see all the time at auctions where dealer stock of pages of minor stuff gets no bid or token bids

Personally I don't collect with an eye to ever selling. But I do like variety collecting just for the fun of the hunt and having a way to "justify" having more than one of the same coin

By "jusify," I mean to myself - not my wife
I argue with myself to downsize all the time. But if I don't have a 1957 Bug Tail, then I feel I am missing something. Its all about the fun!

But I do limit myself to readily seen varieties/coins such as this 1992. I also collect RPMs, DDOs and DDRs if they are "obvious" to me (whatever "obvious" means).

This 1992 coin is dramatically different enough from the norm, and made that way at the mint. So to me it would be fun to find/hunt for one.

Things like this may have their own website someday such as
http://cuds-on-coins.com/
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3682 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  11:07 am  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's good to see modern classics popping up. This is exactly why I save all my pennies and pre-2002 nickels.
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42 I know what you mean. Doesn't matter what kind of error coin it is, it has to go into my collection.
Die cracks, dots, missing elements, clips, blanks, cuds, die clashes, chips, grease filled, doubling, long, short, narrow, wide, you name it, as long as it is something different it will have a home in my collection.
I get an enjoyment out of having what a lot of these Debbie downers will call useless coins to collect. Circulation coinage is way more fun, especially when you find something odd or different. My sets are okay to look at if I want to see perfect and pretty. But grabbing a couple bundles of a denomination and searching for odd is what it has always been about in my world. Glad I am not alone.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dredge
Its all about the fun we each have enjoying coins the way we like to. That is what makes a hobby - FUN as defined by the one having the fun.

I once tried to look into VAMs on dollars. It took so long for me to try to ID just one coin (multiple occasions with different Morgans) that it was not worth it to me. But someone else would enjoy that kind of (what I saw as) tedious hunting and think I was crazy for not wanting to join in on the fun. No right or wrong in this case - just differences in how we humans were designed.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly don't want any credit or association to finding such coins. That can be held by others who seek such status.
I just like collecting and sharing.
I will have to put up another questionable coin to see who else has found the same thing.

Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dredge: I assume you're talking about collecting die cracks, clash marks, etc. on modern coinage. Because if you look at what's on Canadian Victorian cents you'll go absolutely wild! Did you ever look at my on-line catalog of the Canadian 1859 N9 cent?

SPP: Are you talking about the re-engraving of dies or matrices?
Learn More...
Canada
8681 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  03:46 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Production dies
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
267 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1965 the medium beads dollar obverse was created by modifying a freshly-sunk small beads die.

I'd be interested to hear how you think die re-engraving was involved in the 1955 Arnprior dollar.
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2019  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JHax I had not been to your page, but I have now. Nice work,good eye.
I will have to locate my loose ones and check over the ones in my blue books. Slim chance but you never know till you look. Thanks.

Learn More...
Canada
8681 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear how you think die re-engraving was involved in the 1955 Arnprior dollar.

I cannot remember who told me that, perhaps Paul B. or David B. at the currency museum... several years back.

My eBay store
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05