Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

8 Reales Pillar Dollar 1744 Mozambique.

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Greece
11 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  10:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gerta to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi to everyone.
I have this coin half a year in my collection. What's your opinion?
Is fake or original? Weight and diameter is ok.
Thanks everyone.
Anastasios Greece.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1651 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need to post pictures please. Obverse, reverse, and edge
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Greece
11 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying..

Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm trying..
Well done.

No we wait for the experts to opine.
Greece
11 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
.... waiting
Edited by gerta
11/13/2019 4:17 pm
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So sorry to say, but I am not familiar with the coin.

However, I have full confidence that others will be.
Greece
11 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We do not have to know everything about coins.
And wanting it is impossible.
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well in that case, my non-expert opinion is that I like it.
Greece
11 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it too. I'm not sure about the authenticity. If it is I will love it more.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1651 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the group Gerta
I don't see anything blatant that makes me think the coin is a counterfeit, however 1744 is a common counterfeit date and hard to tell from a photo. I do not like the look of the counterstamp and that would be enough to keep me from buying the coin if I had seen it somewhere. That said, if the coin is real and the counterstamp is real you have a very rare and valuable coin so I would suggest sending the coin to NGC for certification.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Greece
11 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the comprehensive answer. Similarly I don't see anything strange in the coin but it was good that I got an answer to it. As for my counterstamp it seems simpler or better badly struck. However before buying I had been looking for at least one of these features. I remember a bit of PCGS. Difficult coins ... I'll ship to NGC or PCGS. I hope everything goes well.
Thanks again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The host coin looks genuine.

The Mozamb. stamp? Not so sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2683 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly the counterstamp looks different from examples found on a web search (albeit on different host coins).
https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotv...dd32f61f1093
https://coins.ha.com/itm/mozambique...3042-30216.s
If I were to describe the differences, I would say the letters are more regular in these other examples, and the base of the stamp is clearly flat, not sharply angled as yours appears (though it is hard to see in the photo, so maybe I am wrong).
Edited by tdziemia
11/16/2019 10:28 am
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I notice the counter stamp on the OP's coin differs from the photo in Krause. Theirs seems to have thicker lines. However, I admit I have no expertise. However, as a collector of these types of coins, I am aware that these counter stamps of African, Middle Eastern, and Asian states are often counterfeited. It seems logical that it's easier to counterfeit a counter stamp onto an original coin that it is to counterfeit an entire coin.
Greece
11 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gerta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your answers.
Counterstamp was my main concern. See if you would like a better photo of my coin and a second coin that was sold by a notable Spanish auction house. The coin is uncertified. I don't know if it's genuine mine but there are definitely differences between counterstamp.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05