Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964-D Kennedy Half, DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  5:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Most pics of the 64-D DDO's are missing from variety vista so I can't match this to anything. Is it doubled?

Helen Keller could find a DDO easier than me
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40997 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a DDO. But a lot of these were master die issues. (Probably the reason the images are not there) But check Wexler's site to see if it is one of these master die/master hub issues:
Denver Mint WDDO's
http://doubleddie.com/1598998.html
master die/master hub What does that mean?
The dies are created through a chain of proceedures:

Note the chain at the top:
Master hub. This is a positive hub. (that means the devices look like a coin)
Master die. This is a negative die. (that means the devices don't look like a coin mirror image opposites, incuse and raised devices are opposite the coins.) Only two of these are created. (usually)
Working hub. These are also positives like a coin, but used to create working dies.
Working die. These are also negatives and strike the positve coins we use.
[red]So what happens when these dies are not exactly correct?
1. All coins from a miss hubbed die, will all show the same doubling. (A doubled die is created)
2. Doubling on a hub. All dies created with this hub will have many dies created exactly alike the same hub doubling.
3. Doubling on the master die. If this happens on a master die, because two are made, that means that 1/2 of all the coins that year will have dies striking the exact same doubling.
4. Doubled master hub: Means that all dies will have the same doubling as all down the chain the dies will all look the same.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Of course you could have a doubled die on a doubled master die as well, that would be a variety. (IE: 1972 die #009)
Also they would have started the process of using, then discovered the issue and then would have re-created a whole new chain, or fixed the issue with an new master die and scrapped all the faulted dies/hubs/master dies/master hubs. So this years dies are savers for now until they figure out which ones are real doubled dies, (not master hub/master die issues) Wexler lists some that he has figured out.

CoopHome : Master die and Master Hub issues

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holy crap! Thanks for verifying and all the info coop! I'll look more into this from wexlers. My first true DDO Kennedy find after many false alarms....take that Helen Keller!
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think everyone else on this forum thought it was too good to be true to reply lol
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be a wddo-015, I'll have to check the die scratches and other details when I get home
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40997 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, in order to be from that die. Each area must be an exact match of the image for that area of that die number. (discounting coin contact and die wear of course)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll check it good when I get back home & if I think it is #015, I'll post more pics
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed variety vista has pics of ddo-015 but there are some significant differences between their version & wexlers...like the T in liberty has a seriff on the right side in wexlers but not on vv. And some other differences bc I remember now when I was looking it up before I posted it on the forum, I was thinking ddo-015 was the closest but not an exact match. Then I looked at wexlers version and it seemed more like what I remember looking at earlier. I guess we'll see when I get home. I may have a few extra beers since I found my first real Kennedy DDO lol
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The die scratches don't match according to wexler and it just seems different from vv's example so I guess I'll have to hang on to it until they figure out all the master die/hubs. At least I finally found a legit DDO! Thanks for your help coop!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like that old add...when coop talks,people listen..not much to add to his response...other than best of luck and another
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40997 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2019  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, but they may be different dies they are attributing. (This means the numbers are not a match to each other site. In other words they could be two different dies) Each attributer, applies their own numbers.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NewbieCoiner808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you work for NASA too coop?!?!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40997 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just been collecting for a long time.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05