Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Colored Penny

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  3:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add moment911 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,

My sister has this silver colored penny that she purchased off of eBay some years ago, but it looks like a regular penny that has been tampered with to me. Thought I'd come to the experts for feedback. Any given will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Bedrock of the Community
United States
30366 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is damaged. It was plated and it still has a piece of metal surrounding it. Most likely part of a piece of jewelry.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13865 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@moment, looks like this coin is in a bezel (around the edge), but also has been plated. Is the coin mildly attracted to a magnet?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42704 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18723 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course it could be made of Platinum or Silver or Uranium by a counterfeiter that didn't know it was supposed to be Copper.
Oooooooooor just a Tinned or Zinc plated coin.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3563 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF, moment911

Odds are, I'd guess, that your 1956-D Lincoln was plated and used as a jewelry item. While there's some evidence to suggest this possibility, I personally don't see any conclusive evidence, so far, that such is the case.

Here are pics of a silver 1956 Lincoln Cent that I own. These DO exist. It obviously experienced a fair degree of circulation. It was struck on a dime planchet, and the weight evidenced that. Sadly, a previous owner(s) scratched the obverse surface; likely, to see if it was plated.

There are a few simple steps you can take with this piece. Silver isn't magnetic, and the magnet test will not rule out that possibility. Gauge the weight and compare it to that of a copper Wheat cent. Gently file or scrape the coin's edge to see if plating is evident.

Recently, I took two tokens to a major show. I knew that an attending dealer had one of the new "ray guns" that breaks down a coin's metal content into percentage points! Both of my pieces, a Civil War and a Conder token, proved to have high silver content. The silver content of my aforementioned 1956 cent was long ago determined by a specific gravity test.

Beyond the initial actions that our OP can take, my ultimate suggestion is to see if there's a local jeweler or coin/bullion dealer who possesses one of those expensive guns (I was told they presently cost about $17,000).
Edited by ExoGuy
12/02/2019 5:02 pm
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moment911 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

We initially thought it may have been struck on a dime planchet, but ruled it out when examining photos of other pennies struck on dime planchet. We also thought it might be steel so we tried the magnet test, but there's no attraction. Thanks much for all of your input.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16076 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There remains the strong possibility that they could be electroplated, in a high school lab type of experiment.
This coin was scratched before it was plated.

Even the official ancient Roman mints occasionally made silver washed 'silver' denarii with poorer, cheap metal cores, that had serrated edges before they were given a thin silver wash.

Easy enough to do.
Edited by sel_69l
12/02/2019 6:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13865 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We also thought it might be steel so we tried the magnet test, but there's no attraction.

Ok yes good to know. The reason why I asked you to check with a magnet is that nickel plating will have that effect on non-ferrous coins.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
99.9999999% chance it is plated. Keep it as a conversation piece.

to the CCF!
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moment911 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent feedback- thanks everyone!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1585 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin was uncased in a bezel. It was a form of cheap jewelry for kids. Some were plated a silver color & some a gold color. I guess it depended on how well you did at the county fair in those days. Look on the reverse at the bottom of your coin and you can see were the eyelet was that a chain would have gone through. It has since broken off.
Here's one I found metal detecting a few years ago at an old school yard

Edited by jasper62
12/03/2019 03:08 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3563 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
99.9999999% chance it is plated. Keep it as a conversation piece.

I expect that those who once looked at the silver 1956 cent felt likewise. That's why it was scratched!

Why doesn't our OP do an edge scraping on the 1956-D and settle the matter?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exo, was yours verified by a TPG?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3563 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover ... No. It tested silver and matched the weight of a dime. It clearly passed the scratch test, too. I bought it, housed in a custom-made Capital holder, which to me looks more impressive than a slab. I should add that a TPG gave me a verbal opinion on it, prior to my purchase. All factors considered, I saw no reason to certify it.

Once again, I ask: Why doesn't our OP do an edge scraping on the 1956-D and settle the matter?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1116 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2019  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was my coin, I'd want to verify it my a third party in case I ever wanted to sell it. Generally, I am not in favour of slabs, but in the case of a special error coin where a verified opinion could solidify a value, I'd certainly do it. Just MY opinion.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05