Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1961 Flawed Planchet

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  7:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Sorry pics aren't that great. Where the my are it looks like a die crack but it is more like erupting from the inside to out.

Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it might have been plated at one point and the plating is wearing/cracking, Looks like PMD (post mint damage) to me.
They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

This is my very first error coin I found that got me hooked.
- 1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that's an interesting point of view. Perhaps I should find out if your right?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10501 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  12:28 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly a lamination flaw. The obverse does look suspiciously like it was plated post-mint, though. How does the color compare to a normal cent?
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
12/06/2019 12:30 am
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's weird. The couple places that the copper is showing is bright like a new penny yet the brown is like any normal brown cent. The right edge is grey and then closer to the brown it is almost blackish. The obverse has the same kind of golden silver hued color you would see in some of the 90's nickles.
I am thinking if I drilled a hole in it, I would find out whether it was plated or not.
Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dredge, I wouldn't advise drilling a hole into your coin, if there really is something there you would ruin it. From the looks of it, it looks like someone spray painted it with silver spray paint at one point and it has rubbed off/starting to come off or it really was plated, what I would do is get Acetone, let it soak in an Acetone bath (NOT nail polish remover) for about 15 minutes, if you pull the coin out and all the silver came off, it was spray paint. If it doesn't come off it was probably some sort of plating.
They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2019  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I gave it a 30 minute acetone bath and it did not change in the slightest so I think the drill or a scratch test is going to be the only next way to find out.
Valued Member
Canada
424 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2019  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is finding out so important that you're willing to ruin the coin?

Just give it to someone else before you destroy it!
Valued Member
Canada
350 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2019  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with TheDeductible, you are going to ruin a coin over curiosity, if the silver did not come off in acetone than it was probably plated, if the coin was an error or had any value you would be ruining it by drilling/cutting/scratching it and making it worthless. But it is your coin and you can do as you wish although it is highly un-advised and will make the coin have no value at all other than its copper.

People use to plate copper pennies all the time in school as science experiments and that could be what this is and why it looks silver, it is also very easy for people to learn how to electroplate copper pennies as there are many videos online showing you how, not that there is any point other then for amusement.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4429 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2019  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is in such bad shape that at best is a semi plated penny with a die crack, worth a penny but the lesson is if this was a question between a plated or struck on a dime you should never drill or scratch a coin there are XRF or simple scales, magnets, ect.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10501 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2019  12:59 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is most likely a spender (can you spend it?), but be careful what you attempt with questionable coins (or any other questionable thing/person LOL).
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
12/19/2019 01:00 am
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well John if I had an XRF then I could do something like that. I don't know why you would think it would stick to a magnet, as all the other coins were silver other than the Nickle. Besides I never said it was struck on a different planchet, just that the planchet was not pure copper from the looks of it. Pictures don't do any justice off my phone.
So I used the tip of my olfa knife and put a nice deep scratch between the letters.
I am not surprised by the fact that it made no difference and now all I have proved is it is not plated.
The only real way of knowing is going to be cutting it in half to see jst what happened with this planchet.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4429 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost no collector would have an XRF but most large bullion or coin store would have one just ask them, the weight, mag are non destructive ways of finding out what you have, If this was a MS coin struck on a dime for instance the deep scratch would destroy most of it's value just look at the recent Cook collection nickle that's on a wrong planchet it has two big scratches across the obverse as if someone was trying to see if it was plated took out at least half it's value.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4429 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also I have a 1963 penny looks like it's struck on a dime weight is good but it's magnetic
Pillar of the Community
Canada
772 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I am aware, the RCM did not mint coins for any foreign countries in 1961 (nor in 1963).
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1560 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be a thick layer of magnetic plating. Photo available? Weight would be a good indicator of plating also.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05