Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Something Struck Through This Penny? A Button?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
242 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  4:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Look at the C in cent how its struck over the top of whatever hit underneath. That's what made me look twice. I cant figure out what the image is though. Any thoughts?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1236 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly odd but I think it's just PSD.
"Coin collectors aren't afraid of change."
-Unknown
Best Cherrypicks-
1909 VDB DDO FS-1101-http://goccf.com/t/357327
1967 WQ SMS DDO FS-101-http://goccf.com/t/351558
Edited by QuarterHoarder72
12/07/2019 4:36 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14465 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a mint error, but rather damage. My best guess is that someone balanced this cent on a slightly proud deck screw and then hit it with a hammer. The cruciate pattern on the reverse looks to me like a Phillips Head screw head. But really, who knows exactly how it was done?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Derrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thing I saw was a Philips head screw...
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2019  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a pretty good guess. Didn't think of that myself. It definitely would take some special touch to pull that off with no damage on the other side, plus the letters appear to be stamped over whatever damage/object took place. I'm going to examine it more under the scope and may post more pics of magnified images.
Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dennman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse does show a damaged IGWT.I'll go so far as to bet a Japanese Industrial Screw was used on the reverse.That type is indicated by the dot at the top of the C.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1517 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is post mint damage, not an error coin. Value: 1 cent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
737 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If struck by a hammer, wouldn't the screw head be concave. That looks Convex, like the die had damage.

Dan
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might would agree on everyone's assessment here but someone would have to slam the jeebers out of it and only once! It's just super odd that the letters appear to be minted perfectly over the damage or else they'd be obstructed or impinged, but they aren't. I dont know. Just thought I'd share
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41676 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or sqeezed in a vise with a screw. That coin is really messed up. LOL
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14465 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@fender, here is one that I just made in my basement shop using the method described above. I agree that the specific type of head used to damage your cent may be different than a plain Phillips, but in general the two look pretty close to me.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41676 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14465 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx @coop. I think my first CoopGraphic(TM)!

Just to be clear though, I didn't squeeze the screw head against the face of the cent. Rather I gripped the body of a screw in a vice such that only about 1/16 inch was proud, balanced the cent on top, and then covered this with a nylon strap (to decrease the damage to the cent from the hammer). Then I struck it with a hammer.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16309 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A plastic button would be absolutely crushed, to give quite a different impression to what is seen.

The top of a philips head screw, struck into he coin, would yield an impression like this.
That leads to the obvious conclusion that this coin is the victim of a 'shed job' = post strike damage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41676 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

When it is done by the die, the opposite side will not be affected.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good stuff guys. Thanks. Man that one dude went the extra mile for me hahaha
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05