Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Abbasid Coin - How To Remove The Handwritten Number

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

39 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  9:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All

I purchased this coin of great caliph Harun the great mint of Sijistan (Modern day Sistan province in Iran). What is really interesting about the coins is the toning and the fact that the name of governor as well as the Caliph name is cited on reverse. For those familiar with this period, you surely notice the eastern style of kufic script on this coin. What troubles me however, is that it has a number on the obverse written. Does it affect the value? How can I get rid of it?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4650 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone perhaps? I've read that acetone does not affect toning...
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16333 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is counter stamped into the coin, then impossible to remove, however,
it appears to be written with a fine tipped fiber pen, therefore,
it would be an easy job to remove with an acetone bath, without disturbing the patina.
39 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. conserving patina is very important for me . Good to know that acetone does not affect patina.
Pillar of the Community
United States
818 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's most likely an excavation or museum number. I would leave it as is.
Edited by Kushanshah
12/08/2019 11:47 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13236 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an "old collection" number. Back in the days before 2x2s were invented, and coin cabinet trays were the usual mode of storage, collectors needed some way of knowing where in the cabinet a coin belonged. Ink markings such as this were commonly done.

It's highly likely, if this is indeed an "old collection" coin, that the patina has come about from being stored in a coin cabinet for decades. And the toning will therefore not be present underneath the ink, since the coin did not have the toning when the ink was applied. So it seems entirely possible that removing the ink will leave a number-shaped hole in the patina - which might look better, or worse, depending on your point of view.

However, to answer the question: yes, acetone should remove ink, and not damage the coin in any way.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
22752 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  04:08 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree acetone will do the job, but I would leave it there it gives it a bit of character with that old collection number.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1689 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...Leave it alone....

Beautiful looking coin with wonderful toning..The little number doesn't effect the overall look and in my opinion gives it character and a bit more uumph!

Nice coin congrats...Paul

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14553 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the leave it alone camp too (which is exactly what I have done with a couple of my coins with similar ink collection numbers). Very nice coin.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  09:05 am  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, as a chemist with some experience in metal cleaning, I agree with the acetone suggestion. I think I would try to remove the writing with a Q-tip dipped in either acetone or alcohol (a less aggressive solvent, good for removing inks, but either is fine). If the Q-tip doesn't work completely I would soak it for maybe an hour. This should remove the writing without damaging the coin. Since the patina was developed over hundreds of years before the number was applied it should be present and unharmed under the writing.
Edited by Seeker55
12/09/2019 09:09 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
932 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Masis's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Masis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I owned this Umayyad AE Fals, it had collection numbers on one side. I left it as it was, seeing it as part of the coin's history, they did not obscure the details on that side.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05