Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 P Pennsylvania Quarter Flip Over Strike?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,263Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
799 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  2:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not sure exactly what it would be called but the reverse details are struck on the obverse. Any info or comments appreciated

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3221 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the coin was struck with clashed dies. Here's an overlay. Use the image to match where your coin shows the clash.

Click the photo for a larger image
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks yokozuna. I know it's a keeper just didn't know the error name.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks errersandvarieties. I was just reading that these are somewhat rare. I'm not sure how rare this is. Should I have this attributed graded or both?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As for attribution, you're pretty much there. This is from the CCF glossary:

Attribution
The next step beyond "identification", it is the process of fully describing and classifying the particular type and variety of coin. For example, a large American silver coin would be identified as a " Morgan dollar 1886 P", but attributed as a "VAM-17 doubled arrows" variety.

Grading, as in sending it to a pay to play TPG, depends on your plans for the coin. Do you want to try to sell it or just hang onto it to show it to friends like us? It will cost you ~ $40+ to get it in a slab with somebody's number on it. While die clashed products are scarce, most are not really rare. A quick look at ebay "sold" listings revealed that raw coins sold for between $1 and $8, while a slabbed one sold for a "best offer" of less than $24. Repost it with a title specifying the variety and asking for grading estimates (free!) and you'll get some pretty good estimates from several pairs of eyes.

E&V isn't really my thing but when I find a good doubled die or RPM I'm really juiced and it gets put somewhere safe (my FIDO box so it won't get lost) so I can revisit it some dark and stormy night.

All this is just my humble opinion but it's a long-winded way of looking at your admittedly cool find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info biedercoins. I got juiced up too before I got on ebay and looked at some prices. I was reading about Morgan dollar clashes because it was the first thing I saw. Obviously the wrong reading material for this coin but gave me an idea of degree of clashes to look for. They're not so rare but I didn't see many with multiple letters only some light clashes. I know how to attribute the coin just dont know if it's worth the $. I'm going to attribute the coin and save the grading for later
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a plan & keep hunting!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53442 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Morgan clashes and die events are give the title of Vams. They are die events as far a I'm concerned when they a listing them as die varieties. But I'm a die variety purist. To me in order for a die to be a variety, it has to be present on the first strike. Die events is just showing what the die went through to create the coins as the die aged and stages it went through. (but I'm not a VAM collector. Too rich for my blood)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks biedercoins. Thanks coop. I like to get coins at face value. I dont like to buy coins I like to find them. I rarely buy from the mint because I know that can get out of control. Thanks to all for the help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Listed today as ADC-25c-1999-01PA
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
2148 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks 11997755
Pillar of the Community
United States
2433 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. I wish I had a coin labeled as "discovery piece".
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Oldfordman. I would say volume is the key. I get frustrated too sometimes but I keep searching because I know these are out there. Much good luck to you on your coin collecting efforts. It's just a matter of time before you find something new and undiscovered. Volume volume volume is the key!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,263Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05